• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M34 The Spiral Cluster in Perseus

dave.hardy2

25 x 300 sec @ ISO800 with full calibration frames 
Image 1 is stacked in DSS and just processed in CS6
Image 2 is stacked in DSS and processed in Startools and CS6
I would be intreated to hear any views which one is better. Personally I like image 2. I couldn't get the full colour just using CS6

50623630463_3cfafc7190_k.jpg

50623631063_8fd80cebcc_h.jpg

Edited by Craig
Fixed image embeds
  • Like 2

i like  the second One like the second one Dave though you need to knock green channel back in Startools , if you post the fits file I could have a look at it and see if I can run through the work flow    
regarding colour , I’m assuming you have a filter on ? Which usually gives green stars .

• Like 1

The 1st one looks more natural to me for a OSC image. Images can be transformed to any colour blend you want in post processing (to me, most HSO images seem particularly prone to it, even though I suspect tne original Hubble images were processed to maximise the contrast between the 3 wavelengths) but for a true OSC colour image, I personally prefer to use the colour pallette that comes out of the camera since the camera manufacturers have gone to great lengths to match the image we take to be that what we expect to see.

• Like 1

The green channel has been knocked right back I use HLVG in CS6 looking at it now I think I've over cooked the saturation a tad. I'll give it another go.

Much better than I can get with my DSLR and I prefer the first one, as it looks less cluttered. You don't see many photos of M34, so many thanks for showing yours. With the nearby attractions on offer, M34 tends to get overlooked.

I prefer the first one too.....

M34........?

That may be a Messier i've not seen.

Its on the list !

But sadly no chance of seeing it any time soon. FLO clear outside shows cloud all next week 😒

• Like 1

have reworked both images.

Image 1 straight from DSS to CS6

image 2 Startools then DSS and CS6

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50623630463_3cfafc7190_k.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50628349408_fc98e314b8_h.jpg[/img]

for some reason the new images are not showing I have used the same link in SGL and Astronomy Shed and it works on there so not sure what is going on with this. Sorry

I've not been able to upload images from Flickr on to here for a while Dave.....you're not the only one.

And i have no problem on SGL or CN either, only on here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dave.hardy2 said:

Strange how it worked for the first 2 though

Craig edited it too.

• Like 1