• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

RA Drive Woes.

Perkil8r

Simple task turned nasty. I started out just buying a 12v adapter so I could power the RA drive from a Baz Battery. So off down Maplins, 12v regulated adapter 3A rating, with various output voltages. Simple I thought.

So plug it in and nothing. Checked everything over again, 6.23v power no problem, positive tip, correct plug attatchment etc, nothing. So pluged in the mains adapter I have been using for a while now..... nothing.

Took the controller apart to make sure nothing silly is going on in there, nope, that's fine. The motor is making a very quiet, high pitched humming type whistle, not the usual ticking noise.

Pics attatched for identification purposes. Mount is EQ5 with single axis drive.

The hand controller does seem to be getting warm though.... could it still be that the fault lies with the controller?

Right then, have had the controller apart and checked a few things. Firstly there is a chip which is getting hot, AFAIK it shouldn't. The output cable to the motor is reading 0v, 6.07v, 3.27v, 6.07v all constant and at the same time at all times. I am thinking that the chip is fried.

A quick search shows that I can buy a new chip easy enough for £2.57 delivered. the chip is: AT89C2051-24PU which is on a carrier so no great issues other than it says this is a programable chip :(

Anybody know more about this? Would it need programing, or is that a function not used in this application maybe?

I've tried 3 different power supplies now. Pretty sure it's the controller. Nothing for it, going to have to buy my way out of trouble, the question is, dual axis kit, goto kit or HEQ5 :D

Just sell the bits that work Mike and get an HEQ5 - it'll be worth it in the long run. You'll spend less time on electronics and more on astronomy lol :)

Well i decided to get the dual axis kit in the early hours. I'll set about the eqmod before long I think and then it'll be guided too :) me impatient? Never :D

Mike

Just as a matter of interest now you have gone down the duel axis route.

When you say the output is constant is that with out you pusing any buttons?

Yes, it was. I am also confused as to the 2 x 6.07v and the 3.27v all at the same time. That to me seems like trying to power both directions at the same time? Hence my thinking the chip has gone FUBAR the other being the fact it smelt and was getting warm.