• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Star Party Essentials

Guest Fluke

Guest Fluke

Looking forward to my first star party at EMS1 in Oct.

I haven't been camping for years, but have bought what looks like a decent 4 man tent from Decathlon, along with airbed and sleeping bag.

Being a complete beginner to camping & star parties, what essential kit do I need to ensure a happy time apart from alcohol lol!?

The only thing currently on my radar to purchase in the run up is an Electric Hook Up cable, basic cooking equipment, possibly an electric cool box, and obviously a lot of suitable warm clothing.

Cheers

Don't forget a red torch or two and plenty of spare batteries. I also find it useful to have a fully charged power pack spare just in case of any electric cut outs or psu failures. Amongst the warm gear get a really warm hat, gloves, and boots - it's too easy to forget the extremeties. :)

Go outdoors have three plug EHU's for £39 if you get a discount card, which are £4 I think.

I would also suggest a 13 tog double duvet, you put half on your air bed, sleeping bag and you in the middle, and the pull the other half over you. Keeps you toasty, and you can transport the scopes in it to stop stuff hitting them.