• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Canon 60Da?

Sheila

When I finally get the scope sorted and learn what I am doing would like to do imaging. I am a fair normal photographer but the astro stuff seems somewhat more complicated!

I am used to Canon DSLR's and was looking at the new 60Da, is this Ok or am I going in the wrong direction because I know Canon's?

Sheila

Canon DSLR's are fine - they are the most popular amongst astronomers and have the most availability of astro bits like connectors and adaptors, filters, etc. Here's a taster of what's involved and some good info on imaging with Canon cameras:

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/helpcanon.htm

You'll probably not even get half way through - I didn't first time round but I keep going back to it every time I need basic info. :)

If your going for the 60Da it's already optimised for astrophotography so there is no need to get it modified. But if you buy the likes of a standard model 450d like mine it performs better when modified for Astro but you need to use a filter to still be able to use it for normal photography. Likewise if you buy the 60Da it would need a filter for normal photography

Edited by Teslar

If your going for the 60Da it's already optimised for astrophotography so there is no need to get it modified. But if you buy the likes of a standard model 450d like mine it performs better when modified for Astro but you need to use a filter to still be able to use it for normal photography. Likewise if you buy the 60Da it would need a filter for normal photography

I already have a 40d and a 50d so do not need to bother about normal photography as I am all set. What I did not know was whether to try and stretch to the 60da as it is already optimsed for astro (the price is a bit ouch!!!) or do something with one a the caneras I already have?

I am fairly new, just learning basics at moment so am unsure what to do

Sheila

Guest Kheldar

I'd find it really hard to recommend the 60Da, though I may be in the minority.

At that price you are into dedicated astro CCD territory.

To be honest, you are into second hand CCD plus a second hand modified 450D etc for the same money territory .....

Best of both worlds :)

Edited by Kheldar

I'd find it really hard to recommend the 60Da, though I may be in the minority.

At that price you are into dedicated astro CCD territory.

To be honest, you are into second hand CCD plus a second hand modified 450D etc for the same money territory .....

Best of both worlds :)

With those don;t you have to be a bit of a computer geek, they don't look like the cameras I am used to, I don't even know how they work?

Sheila

Guest Kheldar

With those don;t you have to be a bit of a computer geek, they don't look like the cameras I am used to, I don't even know how they work?

Sheila

Granted, it's not point and shoot and you do need a computer to use a CCD.

Given you don't need a DSLR for daytime shots, I'm not convinced the 60Da gives enough benefit to warrant it over a £300/£400 modified cheaper model for astro use for your first dedicated camera :)

Your results are not going to be exponentially better with that camera, than a cheaper one.

Save the money! (Just my 2p)

Granted, it's not point and shoot and you do need a computer to use a CCD.

Given you don't need a DSLR for daytime shots, I'm not convinced the 60Da gives enough benefit to warrant it over a £300/£400 modified cheaper model for astro use for your first dedicated camera :)

Your results are not going to be exponentially better with that camera, than a cheaper one.

Save the money! (Just my 2p)

I will probably have a long chat with some of you at Kelling, don't want to make and expensive mistake! Might actually have used the scope by then :)

going to try polar align tonight and see what else I can get wrong

Sheila

You'll get perfectly good images with your 40D and 50D, un-modified.

If you like it then I'd get one of those modified, Astronomiser does it for £150.

A 'proper' astro CCD is a different beast. It's a proper designed for purpose cooled imaging camera. it's also a steeper learning curve.

You'll get perfectly good images with your 40D and 50D, un-modified.

If you like it then I'd get one of those modified, Astronomiser does it for £150.

A 'proper' astro CCD is a different beast. It's a proper designed for purpose cooled imaging camera. it's also a steeper learning curve.

will probably bring all kit to kelling, hope for clear skies and plenty of advice :)

Kelling is your big chance to get stuck in with all your gear - so you'd better bring it lol. There's about 300 people to choose from for help with any aspect of astronomy, loads of trade stands for buying those essential needed bits and bobs, astro talks to attend, and a general good time to be had by all. Bring loads of questions and loads of dosh - it's the one chance in the year to ask them all and spend it all, respectively lol :)