• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiece advice

Guest nottsbloke

Guest nottsbloke

Hi, I think I am best described as a 'lurker' but now I thought it was time to jump in and ask for a bit of advice.

I bought a Skywatcher Explorer 130 (my second scope) at the start of the year, and like many of us, it has been an expensive ornament due to the lovely British weather!

The eyepieces that came with it are ok, but I assume that I can get better ones.

I'm not in a position to break the bank, and am still a relative beginner. I would welcome any advice about any eyepieces that people could recommend that would be better than the ones included.

Thanks again, and hope to see you at a meeting soon :D

I highly recommend the Baader Hyperion Mark 3 (or 2) 8-24mm zoom lens.

Great optics and very versatile. Also saves having to change eyepieces all thé time. Find ya target at 24mm and then simply zoom in by turning the eyepiece. I use mine ever time I observe. Brantuk put me on to them, and I have not looked back since :)

Depends on your budget, if you are looking at £40-50 an eye piece, then the BST Explorers are a good improvement over the stock ep's.

I have to second Felix, I bought a few Baarder Hyperion single focal length EPs when I first started but have since bought the Baarder III click stop zoom which is now my most used EP. Views are clear and bright and as Felix as already said you don't have the hassle of having to change EPs when you want to rack up the magnification. While it may be more expensive to start off with, it will proably save you money. I think the zoom is around £169 but the 4 corresponding fixed focal length EPs (24, 17, 13 and 8mm) would be around 4 x £90 say £360

The Baader zoom will certainly work well in your scope - it'll make the views come alive compared to the supplied eyepieces. But it's around the same price as the whole scope so would have to be regarded as a major investment for the future.

If you want to build up an eyepiece collection slowly and more affordably then the TMB's mentioned above are great value in separate sizes. Also look at BST's which have good reports, and William Optics - they do some nice planetary eyepieces and very respectable wide field ones too.

My best recommendation would be to go for some Meade 3000 or 4000 eyepieces second hand - it'll take time to find them but the optics are really superb for the price which will be £40-£60 each s/h. Celestron X-Cels are good too in the second hand market between £30 to £50 per piece. Used ep's can save you a lot of money.

But do try a few loaners first from other astro chums to see what suits you best. Eyepiece choice is a personal thing and what suits one person may not siut another. HTH :)

Guest nottsbloke

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just picked up a couple of Meade 4000 eyepieces on eBay for about £20 each. Working on the basis that if they turn out not to be that good, I haven't lost out too much. ;)

Assuming your telescope focal length is 650mm (F5) then that will get you 101.5, 52.4 and 25 x zoom respectively.

That is quite a good range to get you started and at £20 each it was a real bargain.

As long as the optics are good you will notice a good improvement over the stock ep's.

Congratulations.

Guest nottsbloke

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I thought I'd try to get a range, and hope they were of good quality. If they are I have a bargain, if not then I've not lost a huge amount.

I'll let everyone know my verdict when they arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nottsbloke

Hello, me again, asking for some more advice to help out a newbie please!

The eBayer who sold me the Meade 4000 6.4mm, 12.4mm and 26mm eyepieces has sent me a message saying that he had also sold 15mm and 32mm eyepieces to someone else on eBay, but they had not paid, and he was willing to offer them to me instead.

Considering the eyepieces I already have, and also that I have a 2x Barlow lens that came with the scope, is it worth getting these please?

Any comments gratefully received!

a 32 mm eyepiece would be nice to view wide field objects, and easy on the eye to use and nice to use under a dark sky, and using a 2x barlow would make it a 16mm eyepiece, but your 26 mm should be ok for that with your scope and the 15mm wouldn`t be alot different to your 12.4.

what is the focal length of your scope is it the 650mm or the 750mm ?

to find out what the magnification of the eyepiece and scope would be you need to divide the eyepiece mm by the focal length of the scope i.e. scope focal length 650mm x 26mm eyepiece = 25 x mag

Edited by red dwalf

Something like that yes. If you can still get the 32mm for around the same money, go for it! If you don't want it I'll take it off your hands ;)

Guest nottsbloke

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

After a little chasing, he's now come back to me, and he's sold the other lenses privately for more money than my bids on eBay!

Sorry.