• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ZWO asi120mc camera

Paul Tomo

I’ve just bought a new ZWO asi120mc camera for my new adventure into astrophotography I have never used anything like this before or seen anyone use one so this makes me a total novice. The telescope I’m using is the Skywatcher 200p and the eye pieces that I use are the Hyperion 17mm and 8mm eye pieces.

how do I connect the camera to the telescope or do I connect the camera to the eye piece? Do I need to buy any other items other than what I have now to use the camera?.

What software do I need to download in order for me to see and photograph what I’m seeing?.

Thank you for your help...Paul 

Connect dirrectly to the scope .

A barlow for planets.

Firecapture or Sharpcap for capture.

Sharpcap can do a live stack as you go which I have used  for deep sky.

Some sort of image processing.

Affinity is gentting popular as it is much cheaper than Photoshop.

If you are doing planetary you will want something like Autostakkert for stacking(I have gone back to AS2.6)

and a load of patience and visits to you tube for "how to" vids.

8 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Connect dirrectly to the scope .

A barlow for planets.

Firecapture or Sharpcap for capture.

Sharpcap can do a live stack as you go which I have used  for deep sky.

Some sort of image processing.

Affinity is gentting popular as it is much cheaper than Photoshop.

If you are doing planetary you will want something like Autostakkert for stacking(I have gone back to AS2.6)

and a load of patience and visits to you tube for "how to" vids.

Are Firecapture or Sharpcap downloads from Google? What is ASICAP

Edited by Paul Tomo

Yes do a google search for them.

ASIcap will be the manufaturers included capture software, I have not used it as they tend to be good at producing cameras but not software.

I’m downloading Sharpcap 3.0 now but I’m not sure if this is the one I need

Yep that OK

I use the paid for one which costs about a tenner a year and also has a nice polar align routine.

Sharpcap 3.2 downloaded and the icon is on desktop. 

do I need to buy a Barlow lens or can I use my eye pieces, I know you said connect to telescope but just asking about my eye pieses

yes download latest from asi site.

firecature or sharpcap might run without but might not be the most up to date.

Edited by Ibbo

Drivers installed. I can’t do nothing else until I set the scope up, thanks mate

You can test this without the scope. 

Your camera should have come with a fisheye lens.

Fit the lens onto the camera. 

Don't screw it in too tight as it can hit the sensor window. 

You can then run the camera using sharpcap so you can try out stacking ect in daylight. 

4 hours ago, Graham said:

You can test this without the scope. 

Your camera should have come with a fisheye lens.

Fit the lens onto the camera. 

Don't screw it in too tight as it can hit the sensor window. 

You can then run the camera using sharpcap so you can try out stacking ect in daylight. 

Thanks Graham,

I have my scope setup now but it’s indoors and next to the patio doors, I've not got the camera setup yet but I’ve downloaded sharp cap and the I’ve downloaded the drivers for the ZWO cameras but I’m not sure if I have the correct drivers downloaded.

I’ve  gone through my telescope accessories box and found a 2x Barlow lens but again I’ve not connected anything up yet, I’ve not even turned on the laptop but I do have everything I need to start the process of learning how to use this new equipment. The fish eye lens was already connected to the camera so I will try without the scope first.

I do have one question regarding the camera and my Hyperion eye pieces, can I use the eye piece to view and photograph the planets?

thanks Paul Tomo 

Edited by Paul Tomo

you wont be able to use the ep with the camera unless you can find a way to hold the camera perfectly stationary at the focus point to the ep.

better off just using the barlow and focusing the telescope.

I would suggest you start off with something easier to find like the moon.

Just use the camera fitted to the focuser of your scope.

Get used to how things work and how to use the software.

Whilst on the subject I personally would use a program called Fire Capture to capture your images.

It has its own pre-set parameters for different cameras including ZWO, it is the one I use for all my Planetary imaging and all my different video cameras.

I cannot stress enough for you to do a test run in daylight to make sure you are familiar with how everything works and to make sure it does work.

There is nothing more frustrating than getting a clear night only to find out your kit wont talk to itself and you miss the opportunity.  

Edited by Graham

1 hour ago, Graham said:

you wont be able to use the ep with the camera unless you can find a way to hold the camera perfectly stationary at the focus point to the ep.

better off just using the barlow and focusing the telescope.

I would suggest you start off with something easier to find like the moon.

Just use the camera fitted to the focuser of your scope.

Get used to how things work and how to use the software.

Whilst on the subject I personally would use a program called Fire Capture to capture your images.

It has its own pre-set parameters for different cameras including ZWO, it is the one I use for all my Planetary imaging and all my different video cameras.

I cannot stress enough for you to do a test run in daylight to make sure you are familiar with how everything works and to make sure it does work.

There is nothing more frustrating than getting a clear night only to find out your kit wont talk to itself and you miss the opportunity.  

Is fire capture a zip file ?

I couldn’t get fire capture running so I’ve deleted the file and I’m going to stay with Sharpcap for a while. When connected with Sharpcap and camera I can see on screen what the camera is pointing at so I’ve done something right. 

That's a good start. 

Try focusing the fish eye lens on an object in your room and take a video. 

You can then practice stacking this in your stacking software. 

39 minutes ago, Graham said:

That's a good start. 

Try focusing the fish eye lens on an object in your room and take a video. 

You can then practice stacking this in your stacking software. 

I can adjust the focusing of the lens plus I’ve done a few videos and played them back  but I’ve not got to doing any stacking yet, or I don’t think I have. What stacking software do I need?

I’m trying to download autostacker but it says I need to make a file but on trying to do so I’m not getting anywhere, what file do I need to make up?

Easy file keeps coming up so I’m not sure if I’m doing this right

Edited by Paul Tomo

Well! I’m having no luck at all downloading anything to do with stacking images. I’m ok with the camera now and also ok with taking videos and finding them in there right folder, I can delete if not needed and run through the Process of taking videos again. What’s holding me back is not being able to send them to a stacking program.

I guess for now all I need to do is start taking vids when the sky I clear and then when I’ve sorted the stacking software out I can then sort the stacking out.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

You will need to talk to Steve "ibbo" about autostakker.

I use Registax myself.

I will wait until comes back on line. Cheers