• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Good evening everyone!

Keith

I have both the pocket and jumbo, they are exactly the same, but the jumbo never leaves the house, it's just for browsing. These are star maps.

Turn Left at Orion is a more text based book with drawings of what you can actually expect to see, well written and very informative.

It all depends on ones eyesight I reckon as to which size to choose for the field. A bigger book is easier to read especially in the dark and if you need glasses for reading like myself.

Turn Left at Orion is as Martyn says, text based, but is great for planning a session as it describes the objects and gives you an idea of what you can see

Hi Keith and welcome. 

Just to be the statutory dissenter, I prefer the Cambridge Double Star Atlas to the S&T pocket atlas. It has clearer maps, presented more logically; it is larger (which suits my eyesight) and is worth buying just for the introduction, which is excellent.

If you get 'Turn left at Orion' which is a great book by the way, i recommend buying

it in 'ring  / spiral bound' format. Much better if you want to use it outside.

Take a look below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=turn+left+at+orion+spiral+bound&crid=H9WS1QVU7WD4&sprefix=turn+left+at+orion%2Caps%2C143&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_5_18

Good morning Bryan/Rob, and thanks for the advice. Turn left at Orion is on order as I write Rob, and in ring format too. It should be with me by the weekend, disrupted deliveries accepted.

The Cambridge Double Star Atlas may be my eventual purchase Bryan. The S & T one is proving to be difficult to source. Many bookshops are out of stock and what's available on e-bay is priced way too high (my Yorkshire fiscal gene's are prominent at the moment, lol).

Cheers now everyone,

Keith.

I have the Cambridge DS atlas as well, a very goid map, obviously the text is doubke star based but fir maps only, very useful but not as dew/waterproof as S&T.