• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Good morning from Leicestershire

WildWoods

Hi there,

I thought I'd better say hello as I've been loitering around here for a few weeks! I picked up a used Celestron C8N GT just after Christmas as a new telescope was rarer than a 2020 holiday. It came with a lot of lenses, filters and accessories but no "astronomy for dummies" book so I'm on a steep learning curve.

Although I'm in my 50's Astronomy is a new hobby to me but I have an enthusiastic son and new grandson who will no doubt keep coming round to get me to set the telescope up.

I'm not the most vocal of people on forums but I do intend to join the Dark Site and make full use of sites when lockdown allows for the reopening.

Hi Andy, a warm welcome to the forum.

I haven't owned a Celestron but a few on here have, so any questions just fire away. I am not sure, but IIRC, the older scopes have better optics than the newer ones so you might have bagged a bargain.

Enjoy your new scope and make yourself at home.

Welcome aboard Andy. Nice scope you have there. Not one I've owned, but many have. As Martyn said ask any questions you may have and someone will know. Hope to meet you at darksite once we can open them again. In the meantime enjoy the forum.

Hi Andy, welcome to mad house. (my wife calls me mad for doing this hobby. I can't think why ?)

Thats a Newtonian model you have there i take it, rather than Celestrons more common 8" SCT ?

Nice scope ; let us know how it performs and what you can see.....🙂

Good morning Andy, welcome, enjoy your time on EMS, you'll find us a friendly and helpful bunch..

Hello and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay, any questions shout up and we will do what we can.