• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Has this been done before

Teslar

I've been pondering on an obsy roof design and wondered if this has already been tried. Just a rough sketch I jotted down the other day. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this and if not do you think it would work

I realise it needs a bit of work yet. Maybe another connecting spar and a means to make moving it easier

59f1e644-3236-f8db.jpg

Edited by Teslar

Yep that thought did strike me. I've been thinking about salvaging the Mechanism from one to try it out. Could be a neater space saving solution ;)

I'm actually surprised that I've not seen this done before as it seems a good solution to me. I was hoping someone may have seen it done and point out the problems or even tell me it will not work. At the moment I'm thinking I'll start searching for an old garage door to tinker with :)

Edited by Teslar

Hi Tom,

I think it would need considerable modification in its geometry if it were even possible to make it work in this way. Just been looking closely at my garage door. I carefully watched its path against the side wall of the garage and it scribes quite a large radius semicircle as it comes down. Meaning that the walls would have to start curving quite near the ground to allow an overhanging roof to go vertical, but of course, you need vertical walls. I'm sure there would be another more complicated way to make this method work though. It is an interesting geometrical problem to sort out. John suggested above to make a model to test the geometry which is a great idea. Perhaps if you are any good with Meccano, this would be an interesting experiment.

That's my thoughts fwiw.

Cheers.

Your right a model of some kind would help. I'm sure the standard garage mech isn't right for it. But I've got a feeling that it should be possible geometrically ;)

I would be interested to pursue this puzzle myself, but have too many other things on the go at the moment.

So good luck with this one and please let us know if you work it out.

Cheers.