• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pimp My Box

Perkil8r

My Battery box arrived today, so work has begun on building it up.

I'll explain more later as and when, but for now here's some pics of progress.....

First off what I botched up for last night.

Bare Box

Hardware going in

other side, something else to add yet..

Fuse box in

Wiring going in

Needs tidying up and a few more wires and another piece of hardware when it arrives.

The 3 sockets are all fused as too is the charging socket. The idea behind the cut off switch is that if something goes wrong and a fuse doesn't do it's job I can switch off everything instantly rather than try and figure what to pull out. The push button on the opposite side is for something else which is on it's way ;)

Can't you tell what I used to do for a living years ago lol.

Mine has wheels on but its not as posh as this, its just the battery inside a box with wheels on :-( Not smart enough to do like you

Sheila

Puts my Baz battery box to shame - no laughing at it on Friday night please - it works, just looks poo!

Well had I not got it in time I would've been on Mk1, the cardboard box option lol.

Might do a bit more later if I get back from the flicks in time, now if my other part arrives in time, then it'll be all hands to the pump to finish it in time for tomorrow night. Having said that, just realised I forgot to get some straps for it :o

Can't you tell what I used to do for a living years ago lol.

As they are known for cramming things into boxes my guess would be an Undertaker. :lol:

Seriously Mike nice job .

Glad you didn't say Packer of "A soft candy made from sugar, butter, and milk or cream." ;)

I served my apprenticeship as a panel wireman at Brush in Loughborough, then years later as a classic car wiring loom maker, now I occasionally wire up race cars ;)

Anyhoo..... @Ron, I decided to fuse everything individually just in case, although I think all of my plug in accessories are actually fused anyway. Mainly I did it just because I can :D

That's very smart, I like that. :) We're in the process of a plan for our Baz batery, that involves 12v sockets and red lights, that also looks right with a 6v 1960's car. If it works out I'll post some pics, if not I'll delete this post, lol.

That's very smart, I like that. :) We're in the process of a plan for our Baz batery, that involves 12v sockets and red lights, that also looks right with a 6v 1960's car. If it works out I'll post some pics, if not I'll delete this post, lol.

6 volt 1960's must be a Beetle.

6 volt 1960's must be a Beetle.

Nope, but it's a VW and related to the Beetle. ;)

6 volt 1960's related to the beetle, is it a camper van?

Nope. Guess again, ;-)

VW 6 volt Type3 ?????

VW 6 volt S ????

VW 6 volt BUS?????

Can't think of many more, way, way, way, way before my time.....

Edited by Daz type-r

VW Variant?

I had a Beetle years ago, my favorite car, unfortunately she suffered a T bone from a lady driver who failed to see her bright green body sat in the road :(

Edited by Perkil8r

Correct. It's a Type 3 'Notchback' also known as VW 1500, ours is the 1500s.

That's a very sad end to your Beetle, we lost a Type 3 to an idiot just before Christmas 2007. :angry:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, perhaps it should be split and moved to the coffee shop. :blush:

I'm not fussed if you post about this here, I'm not precious about it ;)

I saw a gorgeous 1500 down in newquay at the begining of the month. Beige and slammed with a lovely roof rack.

My beetle was slammed (a bit too much really) and had shiny chormed 8 spokes with low profiles. she was a 1975 1300, LKN 752P was her number.... and very bright green with a cherry bomb exhaust. She was my first true love :wub:

I'd love another one day, but I fear practicalities forbid it now a days for me. I would love a Caddy Pickup though, gotta be rat rodded though. ;)

Cool, we used to have a beigh notch, the one that was killed. I think we've know which one you mean in Newquay, how sad is that. Buses are very practical and ours costs less in repairs than average depreciation. ;) And surprisingly the notch is even cheaper, in fact that it's self sufficient, the insurance is less than £100 per year, it's tax exempt and always flies through the MOT. Because we have it for showing, we get into classic shows for free. :D

Turn to page 20. :)http://content.yudu.com/A1ru1t/vwusa24/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.volksworldusa.co.uk%2Fback-issues%2F

Nice.

One day we will move and I will have my driveway back, then maybe I will get another toy. Nothing quite like a flat four air cooled chirping away behind you in the summer months... ^_^

I use to have a 'notchback' , I lived in Dusseldorf and used it travel down to Switzerland a lot!! Ok but got steamed-up quickly in the winter months. never let me down though, Max speed 80mph-cruising speed 80mph!!

They are a reliable comfy car, and will sit all day at 80mph if they could. What year was yours Ron?

Nice.

One day we will move and I will have my driveway back, then maybe I will get another toy. Nothing quite like a flat four air cooled chirping away behind you in the summer months... happy.png

Too true. Fingers crossed for you. :wub:

The last part of the box project arrived today, so fitted it this afternoon. A volt meter, press the button on the lid of the box I put in last week, and the red LCD lights up to tell you how many volts are in the battery. (obviously)

Just need to get a couple of straps to hold the lid on and the job is a goodun. I've left room to add more sockets if I need them.