• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bristol astro shop

Tweedledee

I'm off to Bristol now for a long weekend away.

Does anyone know of an astro shop that is worth a visit while I'm here? I've been googling but nothing other than a few mainly camera oriented shops comes up. Maybe someone knows of camera shop here has a bit interesting astro kit. Not looking for anything in particular, just fancied a browse. Or maybe the odd ex-demo EQ6 for a couple 'o hundred pounds :D .

I'm off to Bristol now for a long weekend away.

Does anyone know of an astro shop that is worth a visit while I'm here? I've been googling but nothing other than a few mainly camera oriented shops comes up. Maybe someone knows of camera shop here has a bit interesting astro kit. Not looking for anything in particular, just fancied a browse. Or maybe the odd ex-demo EQ6 for a couple 'o hundred pounds :D .

www.acecameras.co.uk supplies astro stuff in bristol, may be worth a try

Will give them a try, thanks Sheila.

Having lunch in Starbucks at Hopwood services.

Cheers.

After Starbucks prices for drinks and sandwiches for 5, I'll be putting the 10" on an az4! :)

Ace Cameras are good - I've allways had great service from their Ace Astro Dept (in "Yately" if I remember right) and they will price match - only downside is they charge a tenner for delivery on all items. But if you're visiting in person then that's not an issue. :)

Thanks Kim, do you know if they are still in Yate. Their website only makes reference to Bath. But it is rather fiddly on an iPhone screen so I may have missed it.

Ace camears in Bristol as recommended but if you find yourself just down the road in Bath try Walters of Bath in the Pallisades

Last I spoke with them the cameras were on one place and the scopes in another - but I only had online stuff from them so not too sure of the geographical separation. The website says Ace Astronomical Bath. :)

Thanks for everyone's input. I had a phone chat with a very helpful guy at Ace Cameras. Seems their lease ran out on the Yate shop so have consolidated in Bath. I got the impression they keep just a small stock of astro kit, but were very willing to order in and ship out pretty much anything. So I am not going to trek over there. Had a look round some museums and just about to go on the SS Great Britain, so no astro shopping this weekend.

Cheers.

Guest Tweedledum

Also Bristol Cameras used to have a good stock....http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/

Have a good un

Cheers

Cheers Damian.

Our hotel is just about next door to Bristol Cameras. But they have closed for the weekend :)

Website looks good though for Celestron, Konus and Skywatcher.

Cheers.