• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Terrific Tichy Sixty

Nightspore

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Enjoyable read, thankyou 😀👍🏼🔭

Thanks, and you're welcome. It is a really good grab and go. I'm definitely impressed.

Nice scope. Interesting to hear it,s collimatable cell, unusual these days but very useful

Oh and it,s surprising just what you can see with a quality 60mm. My old 60mm swift used to perform really well

Edited by philjay

12 minutes ago, philjay said:

Nice scope. Interesting to hear it,s collimatable cell, unusual these days but very useful

Oh and it,s surprising just what you can see with a quality 60mm. My old 60mm swift used to perform really well

Thanks. It seems to have a high build quality. The focuser is rack and pinion, but very precise.

6yfPPQfl.jpg

Decent Strehl as well.

Oddly, although the pivot point appears to be in the same place, it doesn't feel so back heavy. Whether this is an illusion or not is difficult to say. Holding the OTA where the XRINGS were and then comparing that with the original ring seems to feel more balanced with the original OTA ring.

NhebQzyl.jpg

I've gone full circle and gone back to the original dovetail. It improves the balance on the AZ5.

• 3 weeks later...

And the red dovetail didn't go to waste.

pSjBIUCl.jpg

This actually knocks a fair bit of weight off the original dovetail bar I had on the ST80. I occasionally still use the ST80 as a rich field grab and go mounted on the AZ5.

IYCDoa9l.jpg

Good three hour session with the Tichy last night. Highlights include: M44, Coma Berenices, Alpha Persei Moving Group, Gamma Leonis, Cor Caroli, Achird, Almach, M3, The Engagement Ring (Polaris) and the Double Cluster.

o2uFxM5l.jpg

I mainly used these two EP's (BHZ, 36mm Aspheric) but also had a 5mm Tak' LE. First session with the BHZ on the Tichy. I originally bought the BHZ almost exactly two years ago. 

bsgqyASl.jpg

These go together well.

• 2 weeks later...

6URWiTTl.jpg

Tichy Sixty set up for a twilight lunar session on AZ5, with Baader Amici and Tak' 5mm LE.

Edited by Nightspore