• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Doncaster but soon to be Derbyshire!

Guest slammer74

Guest slammer74

Morning!!

I'm never sure how to do these greetings / intros!!

Anyway I'm Stuart :)

I'm totally new to astronomy and was looking for a few pointers and info off like minded people. As you can see by the title i currently live in doncaster but will be moving to derbyshire in the next couple of months (fingers crossed!)

I recently..well in the last 18 months bought a telescope for my daughter to look at the moon in some sort of detail as she is amazed by the stars and moon.....I didn't realise there was that much up there in the sky and now find myself addicted to it.

I'm not a millionaire so telescope i bought was a cheapish one which does what it says on the tin.....

Celestron Astromaster 130eq - i later added a little motor drive to it.

with a selection of lenses - 10mm, 20mm, 4mm, and a 2x barlow lens and a moon filter.

My skills with this telescope are very hit n miss..bit like the british weather....i have managed to view the moon! oh and by luck rather than judgement i did get to see jupiter and its moons in my scope which totally blew my mind and made me more determined to give astronomy a go!

so guys n gals i am looking for some help and pointers on how to get the best out of my new hobby!! Plus having a good laugh with like minded people on here!! :D

cheers and hope to speak to you all soon!

Stu

Hi Stuart, a warm welcome to EMS.

The 130 is a good starter scope, which looks like it's earned it's keep with the views it's already provided you.

Where abouts in Derbys might you be landing? You are always welcome to come to one of the meets and have a look through whats on offer.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away, someone will be along to answer them.

Enjoy the forum.

Stu,

welcome to EMS. There's a lot of us that are new or restarting an interest in astronomy on this forum and everyone is really friendly and very helpful.

Dave

Guest slammer74

Cheers for the welcome guys :) I'm looking at moving to belper area, when I get there will pop along to some of your meetings etc I work shifts so all depends on what I'm working etc.

Hi Stuart and welcome to EMS :)

If it's astronomy and laughs you want you're in the right place - we pride ourselves on being a friendly and fun group and allways welcome anyone who's new or experienced or just has questions they'd like answered. The 130 is a nice starter scope and as you say does what it says on the tin. I had a Skywatcher 130 sometime back - very similar.

Keep your eyes on the Information and Announcements section for heads up of meetings. We have dark sites at Belper and Sawley for group sessions including observing and some talks/presentations.

Download Stellarium which is a free planetarium software showing the sky by night at your location - try and orientate yourself on the ecliptic and learn the current constellations and you'll discover your finding skills will improve. Most objects are not far from a constellation main star. Also make sure you know how to find the pole star using the Plough and Cassiopiea

Hope we see you at a meeting soon - enjoy the forum :)

Hi Stuart and a warm welcome to EMS.

Congratulations on getting into astronomy, I hope you and your daughter keeps up the interest as there is loads to learn and should keep her amazed for many years to come.

Anyway, if you have any questions, just fire away in the relevant section and somebody will be along soon to answer them.

Also, keep an eye on the announments section for upcoming meets, we have a couple of dark sky sites that we use regularly (weather permitting).

Enjoy the forum.

And don't forget your daughter's welcome as well, it's all her fault she got you in to this, so bring her along.

To use the cricket club dark site you need to be a fully paid up member of EMS (but your very first visit is free, just to try it out, see if you like it.)

The address for our Belper dark site is as follows:

The Packhorse Ground

Sandyford Lane

Alderwasley

Belper

Derbyshire

DE56 2DP.

Bring a mug for each person and a quid each for every adult, as this gets you hot drinks all evening. Kids drink free.

Hi Stuart and welcome

At this rate we'll be forming the Belper section of EMS soon :D

Hi Stuart and daughter, welcome to EMS. We're very new to the hobby also, everyone here is very friendly and helpful, we've learnt loads and had a good laugh too. :D

Hi Stuart

Welcome to EMS, as another new starter the same as me you will not find a better group - and the advice is always forthcoming no matter what daft questions you ask, as I am still doing :D

Sheila

Welcome Stu, wait till you get a view of Saturn, amazing , as well as all the other gems in the night sky, you can also use your scope on the sun with a proper filter on the front of your scope, cheap to buy and then you can view dark spots on the sun.

Guest slammer74

Thanks for making me feel welcome! :) I'm gotta lot of reading to catch up on this site. Looking forward to getting a better understanding and seeing more with my scope. Hopefully when I get moved will join in your meetings and get to meet some of you. My daughter is only 3 at the moment but can't keep her off the scope when the weather permits.:) cheers again for making me feel welcome. :)