• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Genius or stupid idea?

After being impressed with peeps dew prevention heaters on Friday night, we got to thinking of free or very cheap dew prevention ideas we could find or make until such days as we can buy the fancy heater things.

For starters we're going to make a due shield from a camping mat or similar. Then we got to thinking of other ways to prevent dew and came to the conclusion we need something over us, which of course isn't ideal lol. But we happen to have this pop up tent we use as an awning on the camper, so today we put it and tried it for size.

The angle upwards is good when the porch way bits are folded back, it offers protection from the wind and can all be zipped up if the weather isn't in favour. What have we missed that is screamingly obvious as to why it won't work as a basic camping observatory?

Edited to add pic properly. ;)

Edited by Cazz

I can't see any issues with that working other than if you want to look directly up, I'll let others shed light on it though.

Edit: It wouldn't hurt using a camping mat as a dew shield either, check my recent picture, I just made one for my new scope :)

Edited by Eddy

I don't think that will work.

Moisture is in the air all the time, it only condenses into due when it comes into contact with something colder than the moisture in the air (the due point). As the metal and glass on scopes cools quicker than the air, that is why due forms.

That also explains why heaters keep moisture at bay, as they warm the optics.

Due shields only keep due at bay for so long but always succumb at some point, but do double up nicely as a light shield.

Thanks for the feedback, the doors are sloped back a fair bit so the upwards view is better when right near a door, but there is still a bit missing lol. When we are sat under our sun canopy at night when camping, it's usually a bit less damp under there compared to not being under it, which is why we wondered if the tent roof would prolong the dew, but we hadn't took into consideration the bigger change in temp on the optics. :unsure: If nothing else, it's a storage shed or rain cover. ;)

Seen your pic Ed, very clever, thanks for the highlight.

Like the dew shields, it will proberbly prolong the formation of dew on the optics but the only way to keep dew at bay all night and into morning is heaters.

Down side to this wonderfull hobby, all cash, cash, cash...... :(

I agree with Darren - the tent setup you suggest will give very limited success - most likely none at all. You can get fairly cheap dew controllers from Astro Buy/Sell - I've seen brand new "seconds" sell there for £25 with just a crack in the casing which can easily be taped up and waterproffed. Or you can get a used 2 channel controller for £35-£40 in perfect working order.

The thing that costs will be the dew bands for the objective lens (or mirror) and the eyepiece. Brand new they are silly money - but chat with Eddy - he made one up from a very cheap kit(£12 I seem to remember). Or again try the second hand market. You really can't beat them for keeping a session going and are necessary most nights in UK conditions. :)

Edit - if you're going to Kelling they usually have a trade stand where you can get reasonable ones for around £25 each.

Like the dew shields, it will proberbly prolong the formation of dew on the optics but the only way to keep dew at bay all night and into morning is heaters.

Down side to this wonderfull hobby, all cash, cash, cash...... sad.png

We're finding that is the downside lol. I think we have too many interests or not enough income lol. The old dog is getting an expensive hobby, poor boy. :wub:

I agree with Darren - the tent setup you suggest will give very limited success - most likely none at all. You can get fairly cheap dew controllers from Astro Buy/Sell - I've seen brand new "seconds" sell there for £25 with just a crack in the casing which can easily be taped up and waterproffed. Or you can get a used 2 channel controller for £35-£40 in perfect working order.

The thing that costs will be the dew bands for the objective lens (or mirror) and the eyepiece. Brand new they are silly money - but chat with Eddy - he made one up from a very cheap kit(£12 I seem to remember). Or again try the second hand market. You really can't beat them for keeping a session going and are necessary most nights in UK conditions. smile.png

Edit - if you're going to Kelling they usually have a trade stand where you can get reasonable ones for around £25 each.

Thanks Kim, we are going to Kelling, just need to confirm our booking. Can people hold our hands there please, to show us what's what etc?

Guest Kheldar

Thanks Kim, we are going to Kelling, just need to confirm our booking. Can people hold our hands there please, to show us what's what etc?

There's plenty of us around and everyone's usually happy to help :)

Thanks for the link Steve, that's fab. Which one would I use for the secondary mirror? Or how would I do that one? And is the primary mirror in a 150p likely to be affected? See, I have been reading the other threads too. :P

Kim, thank you. The hobby certainly attracts friendly nice people. :)

The tent will come in handy for storing your scope and kit in when you are not using it though, leaving more room in your camper.

Storage it is then, well for further storage it is then lol, it already gets used for the 3 way fridge, bog, chairs, dog pushchair and any thing else that needs to be under cover and out of the van.

But there again, it will be a handy observatory if there's a cold wind, we'll just have to view down wind lol. :P