• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Focal length of the Canon 350 D

Graham

Hi all.

I want to start using a barlow with my canon 350 D.

To do this I need to know what EP will have an equal focal length to the camera.

What I want to do is put an EP into the barlow so I can set the focus up visually.

Then when I swap the EP for the camera I am going to be roughly in focus.

Trying to set the camera up without this method is such a long winded affair it is nigh on impossible at night.

Many thanks

Graham

Guest Kheldar

Very roughly it's the same as the diagonal size of the sensor (I think!!!)

That would make it about 30mm : however all 30mm focal lengths do not focus equally!

What you are describing is called a parfocal EP, and it doesn't have to be the same focal length : any EP will do.

Step 1 : Focus camera

Step 2 : Place any EP in the focuser

Step 3 : Move the EP out of the focuser or use barlows until you get it into focus WITHOUT moving the focuser

Step 4 : Make or buy a parfocal ring that attaches round the barrel of the EP

Next night out, focus the scope with the EP/barlow combination, and your camera will be about in focus :)

Edited by Kheldar

Focus can be obtained in just a few mins in the dark using only a bhatinov mask - and you don't even need to take the camera off the scope. Once practised it's dead easy and quick - and probably more accurate cos the eye won't see what the camera does - unless you have parfocal eyes lol :)

Guest Kheldar

Focus can be obtained in just a few mins in the dark using only a bhatinov mask - and you don't even need to take the camera off the scope. Once practised it's dead easy and quick - and probably more accurate cos the eye won't see what the camera does - unless you have parfocal eyes lol :)

Have to agree with you there :)

Agreed here to but as I have never used a barlow with this set up I have absolutely no idea where the focus point will be so doing it this way the first time will save me hours of adjusting the focus doing a 60 second sub moving the focus 60 second sub move the focus ect ect ect.

Once I have found the focal point I can mark up my focus tube so I have a starting point for subsequent times.

IIRC all you have to do is locate a star and rough visual focus - pop the camera on - hook it up to a pc and run up the live preview in the capture software - slip the mask on and adjust the focus till you get the pattern - it was all done in 60 secs lol. :)

(we did use a motor focuser though)

If you pick a bright star though it shouldn't be needing 60s test exposures though, I use 5 to 10s with a nudge of the focuser between each.

Sorry Graham I shoulda been clearer - I didn't mean "camera live view" - I was refering to "live preview" in the pc capture software. You'll see whatever the camera is looking at well within a couple of secs - you can do that with the 350D.

Try it in daytime - you can pan around the room and you'll see whatever the camera is looking at and focus just like when you take a normal photo looking in the view finder. :)

Ahh I have understanding, thanks folks I will give that a go if it ever stops raining down here.