• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Sutton in Ashfield!

Guest MrButters

Guest MrButters

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about getting into the whole astronomy scene recently, and after joining the Stargazers Lounge, I got directed over here for more local sky observers!

Just thought I'd say a little hello!

Butters

Hi Liam.

Good to have you on board.

Any questions just fire away in the relevant section and someone will get back to you.

Enjoy the forum!

Guest MrButters

Hi Liam,

S-in-A here too,

Welcome to the forum,

All the best, Dan

Thanks Dan.

Being in Sutton too, are there any good spots for stargazing within walking distance? I know it seems a bit unlikely, but I thought I'd ask!

Hi Liam, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's one heck of a drumstick you got there! :lol:

Enjoy the forum.

Guest Fluke

Thanks Dan.

Being in Sutton too, are there any good spots for stargazing within walking distance? I know it seems a bit unlikely, but I thought I'd ask!

Not really found anywhere in Sutton Liam but have always fancied setting up at the miners monument on the Teversal trail as I'd imagine it would be pretty dark up there.

Guest MrButters

Thats a good shout, actually. I went up Brierly a few months ago with a pair of field 8x30 binoculars, and even with those it was a pretty decent view.

Guest MrButters

Hi Liam, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's one heck of a drumstick you got there! :lol:

Enjoy the forum.

It's good, right? Aha.

Hi Liam and welcome EMS :)

Keep your eye's peeled on "Information and Announcements" and the "Local Meets" section. You'd be welcome to join us for an initial visit to see see if you'd like to join in with the "dark site" group.

We have two sites which are used regularly in the darker evenings - mostly weekends - for observing and all things astro. If you wish to join up there's a small annual subscription which pays for the hire of the fields (currently £20 per year). Meanwhile enjoy the forum :)

Guest MrButters

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone.

I was wondering if any of you were Android users and could recommend some good apps I could download?

I've had the Google Sky Map app for a while now and I love it!

That's the only app i've tried, to be honest they aren't going to be brilliantly accurate anyway so I'd stick with google sky map as it seems to be the most popular.

Guest MrButters

Thanks for the tip. It was pretty useful in pointing out Jupiter to me and some friends a couple of weeks ago, when we were all convinced it was Mars.