• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

'Flower' Supermoon 26th May

alis80b

It looks nice and sharp Alison, bags of detail there. It almost has a 3d look about it. Good job 👍🏼🔭

You are right with the full moon timings (soon after midday) and at the time it was eclipsed in the Earths shadow.

Unfortunately we didn't see it here as it happened over the Pacific.

We have nearly another year to wait to see one : 16 May 2022.

Nice one Alison.

Video is definitely they way to go.

It eliminates much of the atmospherics 

Nicely handled and good detail.

Taking lots of subs then running through Pipp and AS is the way to go. I was a hardened Registaxer but found far less hassle with Pipp and AS3.

I wont mention anything about the title though 😀

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm always looking to learn) but if you're shooting  at 1/250 sec then each exposure will be 4 millisec long but if you shoot video at (say) 25 FPS then each exposure will be 40 millisec long. I don't know what the 'frequency' of the sky turbulance is but to my thinking any sky turbulance will likely 'smear' the video image more than than the single image. I'm sure that their is some interesting maths behind it but I think I can see why you don't see much difference between a single frame (is the term 'lucky imaging'?) and a stack.

20 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

It looks nice and sharp Alison, bags of detail there. It almost has a 3d look about it. Good job 👍🏼🔭

You are right with the full moon timings (soon after midday) and at the time it was eclipsed in the Earths shadow.

Unfortunately we didn't see it here as it happened over the Pacific.

We have nearly another year to wait to see one : 16 May 2022.

Thanks. I feel like I can see a bit of progress from my first moon image back in January. That is all I want.

Yeah, I saw some amazing images of the Lunar eclipse. It's a shame we couldn't see it here ☹️

I have bought a filter for my telescope to try and catch the partial solar eclipse (I can't afford all the posh 'Quark?' things). Fingers crossed it's not cloudy! 😊

14 hours ago, Graham said:

Nice one Alison.

Video is definitely they way to go.

It eliminates much of the atmospherics 

Thank you. I will definitely try it at some point. It's on my list 😊

5 hours ago, philjay said:

Nicely handled and good detail.

Taking lots of subs then running through Pipp and AS is the way to go. I was a hardened Registaxer but found far less hassle with Pipp and AS3.

I wont mention anything about the title though 😀

Thank you! 😊 

I've been researching into it and followed some online tutorials. Someone also recommended (after PIPP and Autostakkert) that you still put it into Registax to tweek it. I haven't tried that yet.

OMG!! Is it not a flower moon or Supermoon?!! 🙈 I thought it was after looking online. I also saw 'Blood moon' but I thought that was to do with the eclipse! Please let me know if I am wrong! I'm rubbish at facts! 😂

4 hours ago, Clive said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm always looking to learn) but if you're shooting  at 1/250 sec then each exposure will be 4 millisec long but if you shoot video at (say) 25 FPS then each exposure will be 40 millisec long. I don't know what the 'frequency' of the sky turbulance is but to my thinking any sky turbulance will likely 'smear' the video image more than than the single image. I'm sure that their is some interesting maths behind it but I think I can see why you don't see much difference between a single frame (is the term 'lucky imaging'?) and a stack.

I'm afraid I can't personally help but I am sure there is someone that can. I am terrible at Maths/Physics and don't really understand what you have just written. I am just trying things that people recommend to me 😂🙈

If you find out, let me know. I'm always looking to improve 😊

17 hours ago, alis80b said:

Thank you! 😊 

I've been researching into it and followed some online tutorials. Someone also recommended (after PIPP and Autostakkert) that you still put it into Registax to tweek it. I haven't tried that yet.

OMG!! Is it not a flower moon or Supermoon?!! 🙈 I thought it was after looking online. I also saw 'Blood moon' but I thought that was to do with the eclipse! Please let me know if I am wrong! I'm rubbish at facts! 😂

🙂 Dont worry Alison it,s just my little gripe these days. For millenia full moons have been known as Full Moon. With the occassional Harvest or Blue (as per the song). 

Then along comes social media and all of a sudden its no longer a simple Full Moon, it has to be hyped up to make it interesting to post or report. So what was once a full moon niw tends to be Lilac, Wolf, Ice, Snow, Blood, Super, erc etc.

Just for info, the full moon at this time last year was reported as  Lilac Moon, now it,s a Flower Moon.

I actually saw someone calling this full moon a.....  Super Flower Blood Moon... 

Its just me being a grumpy OG Alison 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, philjay said:

🙂 Dont worry Alison it,s just my little gripe these days. For millenia full moons have been known as Full Moon. With the occassional Harvest or Blue (as per the song). 

Then along comes social media and all of a sudden its no longer a simple Full Moon, it has to be hyped up to make it interesting to post or report. So what was once a full moon niw tends to be Lilac, Wolf, Ice, Snow, Blood, Super, erc etc.

Just for info, the full moon at this time last year was reported as  Lilac Moon, now it,s a Flower Moon.

I actually saw someone calling this full moon a.....  Super Flower Blood Moon... 

Its just me being a grumpy OG Alison 🙂

Ahh I see! 😊

Well to be honest I didn't even know the moons had names until I started seeing them pop up on peoples images. I researched a bit... Space.com were calling it the Super Flower Blood Moon but I thought that was a bit of over kill! 😂

I read that the Flower Moon is believed to originate in the time-keeping traditions of various Native American tribes. Something to do with the spring flowers blooming around the same time? Dating back to the 1930's. Maybe I got sucked into to thinking that everyone called it that! 🙈

They are basically just all 'Moons' really... sometimes full, sometimes not! 😊

I,m sure these names arent approved by the Astronomical Union 🙂

Yeah, the Lilac Moon name originated from across the water also. Some state over there has a predominance of lilac trees and the pollen fills the air and the moon turns a slight red. But due to the power of social media folks in the UK were expecting the same.

I wonder what next months full moon is going to be called.

Still, if it gets folks away from the telly and looking up, it,s a good thing I spose.

Edited by philjay