• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

35 mins in Brid!

johnst

So my wife and I decided to go to the north east last Tuesday and found a nice B&B in Bridlington and went up Wed evening for two evenings. Well worth the gamble because I got set up in the harbour area and at about 11.40 a big break in the clouds came our way and lasted about 35 mins. Was hoping for last contact but the clouds were to thick, but it was really exciting with people walking past and enquiring! 

Oh dear, first time on this section so don't know how to post a couple of images!! Please advise.

John 

Upload to gallery first , then you can add to a post  John 

Click on new and select gallery image, then create a new album (assuming you don't have one already). You can then upload your images to it. Once uploaded you can insert one or more of the images in it into your post. (More of a phaf than most sites but easy enough once you get used to it)

Sorry Clive, really not sure about this, you said click on new and select gallery, can't find 'new' - I assume it's in my profile!! Can anyone please help.

John  

Sorry John, I should have said 'Create New'.  On my phone it's the '+' symbol at the top of the screen, it's '+ Create' on my PC.  Click on it and select 'Gallery Image' and you should then have the option to 'Create New Album'.

large.Capture.JPG.0f2f5fcc159bd8e568e6cf6dda8d019d.JPG

Once you've created an Album you will be able to select it and upload images to it.  Any image from your album can then be inserted into a post by clicking on 'Other Media' at the bottom right of the post, selecting 'Insert Existing Attachment' and choosing the desired uploaded image.

large.Capture.JPG.6744a57fe11e3648384a545b88516fb4.JPG

Hope that helps.

Ok, so I've got to the next stage, selected a pic of the eclipse and '1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 1,024kB, and was skipped' and so I clicked OK, how do I reduce the file size? Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, johnst said:

Ok, so I've got to the next stage, selected a pic of the eclipse and '1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 1,024kB, and was skipped' and so I clicked OK, how do I reduce the file size? Thanks in advance.

Depends upon what image processing software you have. You've got 3 options to reduce the file size.

1 Select a higher compression when saving the JPG (poorer image quality).

2 Crop the original image.

3 Keep the full image but rescale to a smaller size.

How much over the size limit is it?

I've checked the 2 images I want to upload and they are - 1.78mb and 2.10mb and the maximum file size is 1,024kb, not sure how you determine the difference. I'm hoping that I can reduce the file size easily otherwise I'm going to struggle to put any pics on EMS, can anyone else help?