• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

North American Nebula (with my new filter 😊)

alis80b

That's impressive Alison, hearing good things about that filter!Β 

37 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Super effort in a small amount of time πŸ†

Thanks 😊 

2 minutes ago, RonC said:

That's impressive Alison, hearing good things about that filter!Β 

Thanks. I’m not really up on filters (my only other one is the Optolong L-pro)Β but someone recommended it to me for β€˜summer’ deep sky targets. I didn’t think I’d be able to do much imaging while the nights are so light but this obviously helps 😊

We are all in the same boat as regards the light nights, but just grab some images when you can! I use this time of year toΒ 

try different things out like equipment and exposure times etc.... At least it's warm at night!

Β 

Ron

Great result Alison, well done.

Β 

Whats the reason for 70 sec subs ?

Why not 60 or much longer....? Say 180 or 300 ?

Is it something to do with the camera, or is it you unguided limit sort of thing ?

Thats not a criticism because the results are great, i'm just puzzled by the 70 sec bit.

Thanks RobΒ πŸ™‚

Β 

You're getting some very impressive results with that camera Alison,Β  brilliant imageπŸ‘

7 hours ago, RonC said:

We are all in the same boat as regards the light nights, but just grab some images when you can! I use this time of year toΒ 

try different things out like equipment and exposure times etc.... At least it's warm at night!

Β 

Ron

Yeah, I'm loving the warm nights. Wish we could get the best of both worlds 😊

7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Great result Alison, well done.

Β 

Whats the reason for 70 sec subs ?

Why not 60 or much longer....? Say 180 or 300 ?

Is it something to do with the camera, or is it you unguided limit sort of thing ?

Thats not a criticism because the results are great, i'm just puzzled by the 70 sec bit.

Thanks RobΒ πŸ™‚

Β 

Thanks 😊

Β 

70 seconds is the maximum I can get without the stars mega trailing. I tried some longer ones but they were rubbish and I don't want to waste a whole night's imaging by pushing it too far. I think it's because I'm not guiding. I haveΒ managed to balance my telescope better now after buying a new dovetail so may try some longer ones. I'm just a bit scared as I know 70 seconds works pretty well.Β 

Β 

I'm in the process of starting to learnΒ how to connect my mount to my laptop and running some software to control it. Which will be much better than my current dodgy set up/star alignment techniqueΒ etc. πŸ˜‚

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clive said:

Super image, the Pelican Nebula also shows up well.

Thanks.

Yeah someone pointed that out to me on another group. I didn't realise it was so close. Two for the price of one! 😊

5 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

You're getting some very impressive results with that camera Alison,Β  brilliant imageπŸ‘

Thanks 😊

Β 

I obviously haven't got anything to compare it to but I'm really pleased with the camera. 😊

3 minutes ago, BAZ said:

That is a lovely image, it's nicely processed too.

Thank you 😊 

Β 

And the Pelican nebula actually looks like a pelican!Β  Nice one.

1 hour ago, bryand said:

And the Pelican nebula actually looks like a pelican!Β  Nice one.

Thanks 😊 

Β 

It took me a while to see it but I can see it now! Don't think I've ever seen a real life pelican which didn't help πŸ˜‚

Β 

7 hours ago, Ibbo said:

Cracking image your processing and filter have really worked.

Thanks 😊