• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Recommend me some where to visit

Bottletopburly

Any recommendations to visit , thinking of Visiting, doing llam park to dove dale haven’t been since I was 11 , doesn’t have to be a walk can be a place, I’m off in a few weeks may just visit places this year , suggestions please .

Morning Dave,

What sort of thing are you looking for? Short walk, long walk, nature, , somewhere to stay? Pub?  Is it specifically in the Ilam area?

Is it a day visit, or a few days?

One thing that always impresses me if you are near Ilam is ‘The Boiling Wells’ These are the Ilam resurgences. The river Manifold sinks flows overground in winter, but in summer flows completely underground. All year round there is a major resurgence below Ilam Hall, huge amount of water coming out.  Got this location information.. NGR  SK 1273 5078   Location53.0541 -1.8115

The Manifold Valley itself is a nice walk, with a good surface.. and has  'Thors Cave', huge entance high in a crag, which can get up to, and in.

Thorpe Cloud is a good short circular walk, brining you back down to the stepping stones.

Good range of pubs.

Nice walking and visitor centre at Carsington Water.

Lots of good flora in the limestone areas, loads of orchids at the moment, but that will have changed in a few weeks time

Know the area well, more than glad to help out.. Only about 15 miles from me, so pop in for a cuppa if ya fancy..

• Like 1

Thanks Dave just thought of compiling a list of possible places to visit really can be a stop over  , we like a leisurely walk so within 5ish miles or so , I keep meaning to visit bakewell , we visited heights of Abraham a few years ago that was nice , always nice to ask others as you’ll get recommended places others like, somewhere with nice scenery,  could be a stateley house  , hall etc I’m open minded with places to visit, thanks for recommendations I will have a look into those 👍.

Edited by Bottletopburly

Nice part of the world, we enjoyed Bakewell and the Blue John mine is worth a visit!

Ron

• Like 2

Went to blue John mine a few years back. Really enjoyed it, amazing cavern.

• Like 3