• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello all again

Dhcol

Hi all, I joined some years ago now and really enjoyed learning a lot about stargazing and astrophotography. Then we was blessed with a tiny human and that pretty much took over my life for the last 9 years or so. So now he’s growing up far to fast and telling me he’s a big boy 😭 so have a bit more spare time to get back into the things I enjoy learning about, and hopefully teach my big lad a thing or two about the universe around us. I currently don’t have a decent scope anymore but do still have a cheap little skywatcher heritage scope that’s good for looking at the moon with and try to show my lad a few planets in the solar system although it’s not very impressive to him. I have recently been able to look through a good telescope and was able to see a nebula for the first time and that blew me away! So I’m looking forward to eventually saving up and finding a decent scope to give my lad that same sort of wonder at seeing what’s to find in the universe. 
I hope you are all keeping well, and having lots of decent nights viewing the night sky. 

Edited by Dhcol

Welcome back Colin, glad that family life is going OK. Ask away about scopes when you're ready...😀

2 hours ago, RonC said:

Welcome back Colin, glad that family life is going OK. Ask away about scopes when you're ready...😀

Cheers Ron I hope you are well, I’ll certainly be asking about scopes when time and money allows as I’m in the process of moving and that’s costing a small fortune 😭 still it will not be far away from the belper dark site so once I’ve got some equipment I’ll have to join up and come along to some meet ups. 👍

Hi Colin, welcome back.

Edited by tuckstar
Auto corrects a beast

Hi Colin and can I say welcome back, I've only been on this forum a couple of months so I'm glad you've returned but family always comes first (doesn't it!). Are you in the Belper area?  

1 hour ago, johnst said:

Hi Colin and can I say welcome back, I've only been on this forum a couple of months so I'm glad you've returned but family always comes first (doesn't it!). Are you in the Belper area?  

Hi thanks for the welcome, yes I live in Belper at the moment. Do you go to the meets at all? 

No, I haven't been to any meets, I'm new to EMS, happened to go up to the site with my son and 2 grandsons a couple of months ago and found out about this forum, used to be a member of the WPAOG but it's disbanded now so I observe down the garden. 

7 minutes ago, johnst said:

No, I haven't been to any meets, I'm new to EMS, happened to go up to the site with my son and 2 grandsons a couple of months ago and found out about this forum, used to be a member of the WPAOG but it's disbanded now so I observe down the garden. 

Ah my garden isn’t great for observations as there’s a bloomin street light right at the end of the garden. The new house we are trying to get also has a street light right where the garden is as well 🙄🙈 but it’s on the edge of Ripley so not far to this clubs dark sky’s site once I get something decent to look through 😬👍

Well, I've got a William Optics Megrez 72 ed and it's a pleasure to use, a good all round little scope although they don't do that model anymore but similar is certainly worth considering. It's a refractor as you know so it might not be your sort of scope - just my opinion. 

52 minutes ago, johnst said:

Well, I've got a William Optics Megrez 72 ed and it's a pleasure to use, a good all round little scope although they don't do that model anymore but similar is certainly worth considering. It's a refractor as you know so it might not be your sort of scope - just my opinion. 

Ah that’s a nice little scope, I’d like to do some astrophotography this time round. I did used to have a little Meade ETX 80 that I loved messing around with. I had to let it go unfortunately, childcare costs are astronomical!! 🙈 I’d like another small setup one day, with a decent EQ star tracking mount. What mount do you use with yours? 

Hi Colin, welcome back.I understand how life gets in the way, but it could be something you lad might be interested in, he is welcome to come along with you to Belper.

24 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Hi Colin, welcome back.I understand how life gets in the way, but it could be something you lad might be interested in, he is welcome to come along with you to Belper.

Thanks Baz, I’ll certainly bring him along when I get a decent scope to use 👍 we do have one that we use for school it’s not the best to be honest but it’s probably something I could use for now just to get back into it.