• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Star Gazing Music

Guest MrButters

Guest MrButters

So, I was just wondering what kind of music (if any) you guys listen to when you're off checking out the night sky?

For me, I've always found that the likes of Sigur Ros and Brian Eno have always been great for setting the mood.

I also have a lot more soundtrack music and various other bits and bobs that I find lend themselves to the situation quite nicely.

I prefer the sound of silence when observing in the back garden, helps me set the mood of how awesome the universe is!

I prefer the sound of silence when observing in the back garden, helps me set the mood of how awesome the universe is!

Never heard of the artist 'Silence', are they good?

Never heard of the artist 'Silence', are they good?

Cheeky bugger - I don't know - youth of today. ;)

Guest JohnC

With all the noise of everyday life it is the silence of observing that i enjoy.

there are usually enough sounds from wildlife to listen to :)

The sweet music of the camera shutter rattling and when at Belper Sheila saying "bottom" repeatedly :D

Silence for me too, helps get your head back together.

Wait until you get hedgehogs coming through, they sound like the Beast of Bodmin.

We also like the sound of silence, when we're camping it's lovely to listen to wildlife.

Speaking of hedgehogs, we had one in our tent a few years ago. :)

Silence too, had a hedgehog munching a snail near my foot last night in the garden!!

The sweet music of the camera shutter rattling and when at Belper Sheila saying "bottom" repeatedly :D

Will I ever live that down :P

Guest MrButters

It seems like I'm in the minority here then! Was hoping you would be able to point me in the way of some good tunes!

Maybe I just need to get out there a bit more and the Silence will eventually take me too! aha

Yep, silence for me while observing. Though I do love the sound of a goto slewing to the next galaxy ;) .

The complex music I like takes all my concentration and I can't do anything else at the same time. So astronomy and music stay separate.

if ever I get my warm room built, I will possibly be listening to Royksopp or Brian Eno

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4WxQ6dnn0

Remains my favorite chill out tune.

I have the whole Eno album Apollo: Atmospheres on my iphone, it has some good tracks especially An Ending (Ascent).

Just checking out Royksopp on itunes, cheers Mike. Always looking for something new and different.

Pete, I know plenty of "different" stuff, most of which would turn your hair grey lol.

If you don't believe me, go on you tube and look for "Lamb of God, Black Label" just remember I did try to warn you lol.

So they are one of the founders of the "new wave of American heavy metal" from 1990. I like Heavy Metal!

Cheers Mike, I now know why you wear a lot of black :) I found Lamb of God, Black Label did nothing for my hair and a bit lacking in range, the growling was too extreme for me :) They seem to be a band who practice what they sing about, if you've heard about their singer in jail :) Having said that I'll give anything a listen.

I'm more old skool. Give me Eddie Van Halen strangling his guitar, John Petrucci (Dream Theater) on a fast solo or even Herman Li at his most frantic. I like guitars.

I recently tried to some jazz fusion for the first time and loved it. Higgs Boson have one album by the same name and I think it is brilliant.