• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power lead question

Bottletopburly

I’ve ordered a new cable to go from my power box which is fused can’t remember what fuse I used need to look, but what size fuse should I protect with ? to my deepskydad hub which is rated 10a with a 4a resettable fuse , I’ve ordered a lynx Astro silicon cable 2.2-2.5 mm 1m , now from the DSD hub to camera power feed which is only about 12 inches away I usually just use those 2.1x5.5mm cables with the thin wire you get off eBay ones with the black and white wire will that be sufficient to use to power cooled camera or should I look for a cable with heavier gauge wire ?Obviously the tec cooler draws a bit of powertried last night using a cable with a car type fused lead which popped that fuse so I need to makesure cables and fuses are up too the job . 
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-21mm-dc-jack-to-25mm-dc-jack.html

https://deepskydad.com/dchub2

I thought that both the 533 TEC input and the DSD hub 12V output have 2.1mm connectors so I'm wondering why you seem to have ordered a 2.1mm to 2.5mm adaptor cable?

The 533 data sheet quotes a max TEC/fan current requirement of 3A (at 12V) so 3A fuse would be OK and I would recommend using at least 24AWG wire to minimise the voltage drop.

2 hours ago, Clive said:

I thought that both the 533 TEC input and the DSD hub 12V output have 2.1mm connectors so I'm wondering why you seem to have ordered a 2.1mm to 2.5mm adaptor cable?

The 533 data sheet quotes a max TEC/fan current requirement of 3A (at 12V) so 3A fuse would be OK and I would recommend using at least 24AWG wire to minimise the voltage drop.

Clive the dsd hub input socket is 2.5 mm with 2.1mm outputs my power box on mount is 2.1mm socket  , I will get some 3 amp fuses cheers.

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Clive the dsd hub input socket is 2.5 mm with 2.1mm outputs my power box on mount is 2.1mm socket  , I will get some 3 amp fuses cheers.

I had assumed you were talking about the cable and fuse between the DSD output and the camera but I now understand that you are actually  referring to the cable and fuse between your power box and the DSD.  In which case a 3A fuse in the power box may not be enough depending upon what else you are also powering from the DSD.

7 minutes ago, Clive said:

I had assumed you were talking about the cable and fuse between the DSD output and the camera but I now understand that you are actually  referring to the cable and fuse between your power box and the DSD.  In which case a 3A fuse in the power box may not be enough depending upon what else you are also powering from the DSD.

The only thing I will have powering from dsd hub is zwo533mc and a deepskydad Autofocuser, the lead to power camera will only be about 12” the ones I have are just the generic one that use thinner cable , I’m trying to track a 2.1mm -2.1mm lead that has bigger cable , 

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

The only thing I will have powering from dsd hub is zwo533mc and a deepskydad Autofocuser, the lead to power camera will only be about 12” the ones I have are just the generic one that use thinner cable , I’m trying to track a 2.1mm -2.1mm lead that has bigger cable , 

I see the DSD hub has a resetable fuse with a 5A hold current (basically it will allow 5A to flow all the time) and a 10A trip current (so it will trip at 10A in a short time - unspecified but probably within 1 sec). If you're only powering the camera (3A max) and the focuser (1A max?) then a 5A fuse in the power box should be OK.

With only a 12" cable length I wouldn't worry too much about the wire gauge of the DSD hub to camera cable,  I would try what you already have (the worst that can happen is that the small voltage drop caused by the cable will probably limit the lowest cooling temperature you can achieve).