• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dont tempt me :-)

philjay

Been doing some repairs to a dorma window on the abode and had a scaffold built last week cos my old bones get a bit stiff working off ladders. The scaffold rental is half the price of a roofer doing the job (if you can tie them down to actually coming out that is), and I have been able to take my time doing a couple of hours here and there.

The views up on the roof are really good and I couldnt resist stitching a panorama from up there. Some great horizons 🙂

The views from up there are excellent and I must admit to them seeding a gem of an idea for a dome 😁

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by philjay
  • Like 1

Wow, serious stuff Phil. Yup, a dome deffo

A question : would a 'roof dome' not be influenced by heat plumes and currents coming off the house....? (.....as opposed to a stand alone observatory built away from the property.)

Maybe not such an issue in the winter if the house is well insulated, but during the summer a house can radiate a-lot of 

heat, as it cools into the night. I've been amazed how hot my own roof at home has got this week : you could have probably fried an egg on its hot black slates.

18 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

A question : would a 'roof dome' not be influenced by heat plumes and currents coming off the house....? (.....as opposed to a stand alone observatory built away from the property.)

Maybe not such an issue in the winter if the house is well insulated, but during the summer a house can radiate a-lot of 

heat, as it cools into the night. I've been amazed how hot my own roof at home has got this week : you could have probably fried an egg on its hot black slates.

Its a tongue in cheek post Rob. There is no way I would build a dome up there, never mind the temperatures, with the exposed aspect we get here a dome would be ripped apart by the high winds the first winter we get. It would probably end up on skeggy beach 🙂

However folks have been building roof top observatories for a couple of centuries so there is something to it. Take the Vatican observatory for one example, on top of some building or other Plus a guy near Willington has a Pulsar dome poking above his ridge tiles.

3 hours ago, philjay said:

Plus a guy near Willington has a Pulsar dome poking above his ridge tiles.

Yes, i know the place you mean. It looks very tidy doesn't it ?

I drive that why from time to time and often look at it, and always wonder whats inside there.....? 🔭