• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Last nights hunt for meteors.

The video comprises of just over 1000 X 20 second subs Clive.

It was a bit of a rush to put this together before work this morning.

I will go through it frame by frame when I get home tonight to see what I managed to get.

Edited by Graham

Good luck with that 😊, it took me 3 hours to go through just 156! Most of the time was spent checking prior and post frames to eliminate satellites. I  had one that was just a short trace on an image and nothing on frames either side but present on alternate images (so 2 mins apart) and lasted for 8 frames, not sure what that was.

Here are half a dozen of the better ones.

It is a shame the sky is so bright if it was darker they would stand out better.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't know whether it is just my camera but when I take multiple exposures, the camera is not ready for a few seconds after. In fact, the wait is about the same time as the exposure. Like Clive, I always check the before and after frames to eliminate satellites. I use 6 seconds exposure. Once I used an old DSLR and took snaps in between exposures on the Nikon I use. When (if???) I ever become solvent, I will get a second DSLR and intervalometer to make sure I am catching  just about everything in the field of view instead of just half.

The IMO uses high frame rate and high ISO video cameras but these are out of my budget. Long story, but even a Baader solar filter is out of my budget at the moment.

I download direct to my computer, no memory card in the camera so I do not get any time delay between subs.

I run at 20 seconds a sub.