• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Curiosity Rover.

Guest robbobsam

I was planning on using this website....

/>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

Lewis has set the alarm ready to watch this on the NASA site.....he's been into it the last few days and asked me ever-so-nicely if we could be up to watch it lol how could I say no?

:P:D

The old radioactive pram is off hunting Martian Hobbits!

It's going to be a few interesting years now.

Are we having a book open and having guesses on how long it will keep going? Bearing in mind the amazing lives of Spirit and Opportunity!

I'll start, 5 years and 7 months.

Mrs Baz says 9 years.

To be honest - mars rovers never really blew my skirt up - now if they popped a couple of humans up there for a game of gravity free golf I might get excited lol :)

I say it goes fine untill it auto updates, my laptop never likes windows updates, I don't expect this to be any different :lol:

I say it goes fine untill it auto updates, my laptop never likes windows updates, I don't expect this to be any different :lol:

Ha ha, what do you think it is running, Windows Vista?

I give it 8 and a half years, not sure of the half life of Plutonium 238.

Ha ha, what do you think it is running, Windows Vista?

I give it 8 and a half years, not sure of the half life of Plutonium 238.

bout just over 87 years :)

It takes a lot to float your lots boat doesn't it.

It's traveled 450 million miles, hit a target area 3 metres by 12 metres in the atmosphere at 13,000 miles an hour, reached over 2000 degrees C, used three parachutes to slow down, and then pulled the show stopper out the bag.......only a rocket powered sky crane,

( How many kids want a rocket powered sky crane for Xmas now? ), and then landed on another planet! It's done this all faultlessly.

I was edging my bets at 5 years.

Between all the probes sent up there to Mars, I wonder how much the total cost of them all is.

at least they measured it in metres this time and didn't get it confused with feet :D :D

I do think it's a brilliant achievement. My guess at how long it works for is 3 and a half years. Although newer than the others that went before it has more bits on it to wear out, use power or go wrong, hence my guess.

at least they measured it in metres this time and didn't get it confused with feet :D :D

How do you get confused with feet, you only have two!