• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

SW Explorer 250p DS

Guest Fluke

Guest Fluke

I'm keen on getting a bigger scope, but want to keep the Mak 127 goto for now.

Just seen an explorer 250p OTA on AB&S. Sounds a reasonable upgrade.

Can't afford another mount right now so was wondering if the SW basic goto mount I have could take the weight of the 250p in the short term - I'm thinking it's probably far too heavy but thought it's worth asking the question?

A 250P Newt needs an EQ6 mount absolute minimum - be great on a windless night for observing - but I doubt imaging would be on the cards Dan - it needs a dobsonian mount really unless you have about five to ten grand spare for a Mesu or a Paramount :)

I've actually observed through a 250 on an EQ6 and it coped - but only just.

My 200PDS +DSLR pushes my EQ5 to near the limit, couldn't manage a 250P so EQ6 I think too!

Guest Kheldar

My 200PDS +DSLR pushes my EQ5 to near the limit, couldn't manage a 250P so EQ6 I think too!

By the numbers, that's over the max load : but you're not the only one that does it :)