• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

new tent advice please

red dwalf

morning all,

looking for a larger tent for kelling, don`t know alot about tents, but have seen this on flee bay and wanted advice from someone with more camping experiance,

what do you think ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKANDIKA-MILANO-6-PERSON-MAN-CAMPING-FAMILY-TENT-LARGE-WATERPROOF-BLUE-2012-NEW-/310419323237?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item48466ef965

cheers

Rob

From experience Rob I went for a Kyham, they are a little pricier than the run of the mill tents but are well made and they do a whole range. If you want to see a good range of them and others Don Ammott caravans in Hilton have a camping section and they have a complete selection. Thats where I got mine.

What I did was I decided on what tent I wanted, waited till december (out of season) then bought last years model off the web from them, this way you get off season discount , discounted again because they are trying to clear them, so you get a perfectly good tent in last years colours but double discount ish.

Phil

My thoughts are, everything about the description is good, the shape as mentioned performs well. It has lots of windows, good height etc, it's easy to put up. My main reservation is - i've not heard of that make before, so can't comment on the quality. Have you looked for reviews of it on uk campsite and 365 camping etc?

Not to knock this particular one, but i've seen a tent at a site that was apparently retail price of £500 but the peeps bought it for around £150. To be honest, it was rubbish, it kept ripping, it leaked, i've seen a stronger napkin!!! The people who bought it binned it after one weekend, all in all not a trip!!!

So to recap, research research research the make and model, other owners will know how it performs.

I've got a couple of big tents for sale (4-berth and 6-berth). They're well looked after and in great condition - give me a call one evening after 6pm for a chat if you're interested :)

I'd be very interested kim thanks,

Do you have a make / model number of them especially the 6 man then I could have a view on the internet,

Many thanks

Just had a look at the kyham website Phil and there are a few last years modeps available at reasonable prices for new equipment.

Guest Steve

If buying new I'd say stick with a big name and buy from a proper retailer in case of problems - especially if you are spending a reasonable amount of money.

I have a Vango Diablo 9-man tent that has been up and down many times and is still in excellent condition.

The main problem with a big tent is that you start to accumulate things to fill it. We ended up with a complete kitchen with tables, a dining table, chairs a wardrobe, microwave and a telly! Hardly backpacking! It required an Espace,a roof box and a trailer....

If buying new I'd say stick with a big name and buy from a proper retailer in case of problems - especially if you are spending a reasonable amount of money.

I have a Vango Diablo 9-man tent that has been up and down many times and is still in excellent condition.

The main problem with a big tent is that you start to accumulate things to fill it. We ended up with a complete kitchen with tables, a dining table, chairs a wardrobe, microwave and a telly! Hardly backpacking! It required an Espace,a roof box and a trailer....

Yep, I know how you feel, just had towbar fitted to the car and a trailer is on it's way!

I also agree, we now have the campervan and a four berth trailer tent.

Camping is a way to make an expensive hobby into a cheap holiday, lol. :D

Yes my wife has the garden shed syndrome and our glamping now requires a trailer to get the tv, kitchen and curling tongs in. We have an Outwell Oakland XL with awning which we like. Also have a couple of tent for sale or trade see swap section

The 4-berth is a Suncamp 4000 Rob - made of real heavy duty tent material - not this flimsy nylon stuff you get these days - two large double sleeping inner tents at either end (either removable for extra space) and a big 3m square by 6ft high central living area. Solid construction and zip out fly sheets either side of the middle.

The other is a tunnel tent - but I can't remember the make/model - at least 4 berth but could be 6 - I'll have to fish it out of storage at the weekend. We never actually used it before we decided to get a caravan on the spur of the moment lol. I'll let you know at the weekend when I've dug it out. :)

Iam with Cazz, join uk campsite, and read the reviews.

Or go and have a look round the Yeomans camping shows, there's one on at Calver.

http://www.yeomansou...aspx?campshow=8

I would be careful buying one off the well known auction site.

Looks like Rob's getting the beer tent this year!