• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

RIP Sir Bernard Lovell

Guest Tweedledum

Just heard on the radio.

They don't make 'em like that any more.

We have pop star/celebrity astronomers now.

He'd have been 99 yo at the end of the month.

A good innings.

He came to our High School when I was in my early teens and gave us a talk about astronomy.

He was my first exposure to the subject and it was from him I first learned that the light we see from distant stars has taken so long to reach Earth, that the star may have burnt out millions of years ago and no longer actually exist. Even though we still see it in our skies for a lifetime.

I'm glad he had a good long 98yrs and left us the wonderful legacy of both Jodrell Bank and all his research. A great loss - RIP Sir Bernard :)

It's a must - fabulous visit - to see that thing move is awe inspiring - perhaps we should get a group together and go en-masse :)

I agree, Jodrell Bank is an inspirational place.

You don't realise just how big that dish really is until you are there.

If you like trees, there is a very nice arboretum within the grounds which is well worth a walk round.