• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hexy 635 byclops bino--motorised altitude mount

Guest black eyed hexy

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guys ,

just dropped to have a look at what yer all doing, very interesting forum this .

Not had much time lately to work on Hexy--family commitments --but got as far as making the motorised altitude mechanism--this will pull/ push the scope skywards by means of a 12v wiper motor /gearbox assembly at the other end of the 16mm screw rod --pics to follow on that ,.

the new pivot mount sits between the tubes

the blue blinkers are bolted to a mobility chair pier

as the scope tubes are finely balanced in the cradle on roller bearings the motor has little work to do to raise and lower the scope

see you soon Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Thanks guys,

the project is taking longer than planned but this is all new to me ,and I,ve had to remake a few of the items , but march on my soul with strength , Hexy will repay the input ,---eventually . lots of pics to come yet.

Byclops Dan

Wow- Hexy is looking really impressive now Dan. The colour scheme is great.

It is starting to look like a "Steampunk" style project. And why not!

Unlike other Steampunk stuff, this one has a purpose.

Let's have a photo of you next to it wearing your brass goggles :)

Marvellous.

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi pete,

Nice of you to notice another little improvement to signorita Hexy, the new addition you can see was the easy bit , tis the other end of the rod thats paining me at the mo --the geometry surrounding the swivel attaching the screw rod to the main mount---tis making me redo the former bits again--it did look simple to start with until I could visualize the screw rods movement as the cradle swings to horizontal--this lark sure is sharpening up my engineering skills which I have little of . Hopefully I can crack the steely thing soon and then I can swing an underarm fist upwards and scream Yeeesss!! . got the wifes brother and partner over from goa -india for the weekend so entertainment time begins as from now .Seem to be fascinated with Hexy a wee bit ,--trying hard not to oversaturate them like it,s got me ,gonna let them view the sun in my 12 inch on saturday --expecting a few comments bout that , then it,s late night beer time while viewing the perseids meteor shower --first time for them , shame we don,t get many spectacular ones in this display .

Noticed you been busy on forum and getting involved , Hey how about a pic with me wearing welding goggles- don,t have brass ones at mo -maybe I,ll surprise ya soon as the wiper motor will tug the band of gold skywards soon .

All the best steampunk Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Thanks phil,

correct -it is excellent stuff cus you lot set me going in the first place , it,s also excellent fun too making something weird work that you haven,t made before .

Looking forward to the time when I can burn both my retina,s with them cones of light .

yesteryear scope maker Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

HI tom ,

thanks for the enquiry --

it,s well overdue , no doubt about it . am resisting raising my hands above the shoulders in case I pull all me ruddy hair out , but unforeseen happenings have delayed the project a wee bit , due to my 90 year old dad becoming ill , so plan is now to get the kiln over to my place this weekend , wrap some thick wire round some terminals and melt them overhead cables.

Melting should commence the weekend following as I now have plenty of glass for a trial run .

well fathered son Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guys ,

naff nafff nafffy-----I really liked the screw rod idea but it turned out naff because the rod actually bent slightly and jerked a little when movement was applied, overall it is unsatisfactory for me --cant make it work smooth enough --has to be super smooth in operation --no less--------

well I replaced the rod idea with a cable winch type mechanism---this turned out to be super smooth -and quiet -and much superior to the rod idea -----smile is tickling my earlobes now.

the cables are wound unwound in opposite directions on the same gearbox barrel--the cables pull both up and down in a " v " formation

undaunted Dan

Very nice Dan. Good solution. I like how you settle for nothing less than perfect :)

How long until you start to make the glass?

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi catman Felix,

yeah ! I try to make everything quality, robust, and pleasing to the eye---I gotta get rid of that scrapyard challenge tag somehow.

Hate thing s that don,t work well,

I once had a big problem with a tool that wouldn,t fit properly so I rushed it out the gate and slung it blindly down the hill in me frustration ---I stared long enough to see it bounce and bounce down the road for 50 yards or so ---and through the rear window of a friends parked car , I know , It wasn,t too good a thing to do but I got rid of it didn,t I --------------next day my friend brought it back round with a puzzled look --he recognized who its owner was ,

So if hexy wont work , I,m hoping the ruddy streets clear on that day.

As to the glass ---well everyones on the edge of thier seats over this one ----anytime soon ---just trying to finish the mechanical side of Hexy first--gosh we,are moving on to this side of christmas now . Pip,pip.

Not perfect but good enough Dan

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi guys and gals,

just finished making the winch replacement for the altitude axis, feels like a marathon project all of it,s own.

Tommorrow I,m hoping to install the cells and dummy mirrors to give correct balance and see whats to Hexy when I energise the motor !

nadir to zenith and back by cable --what think all of ye ??

Dan -----in a cell