• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 first attempt.

Perkil8r

Quick process of what I got.

44 subs 60 secs @ ISO 800, 26 darks, 21 flats.

Modded 350d with Astrotec filter adapter with LP filter.

Scope 200p on EQ5 Unguided.

Needs more processing, just a quick 5 mins to see what there is.

Well done Mike. How much of a crop is that?

Erm... It's 100% size but cropped I guess to about 30% of full frame. The bottom edge is the frame edge too, so that filter holder seems to hold up not too bad with "correct" use of flats. Is say "correct" as I have no idea what I'm doing as such :D

Now it's not 3 O'clock in the morning, I spent a couple of hours trying a bit harder with the processing. Same data and stack, just a lot more care in PS.

New laptop and itchy feet means I had to play again, same subs and settings but different stacking and processing. Not sure as I like it though.....

Edited by Perkil8r

Guest Kheldar

Improving all the time, great detail coming through in the galaxies.

I think you need to back off the curves a little (it's started to posterise) and have a look at the colour balance ... I think it's too green (hence the hue in the background.)

Improving all the time, great detail coming through in the galaxies.

I think you need to back off the curves a little (it's started to posterise) and have a look at the colour balance ... I think it's too green (hence the hue in the background.)

Taken on board. It was actually quite a hurried process at silly O'clock to see what difference I could make by using Drizzle in the stacking process. Steve was online at the time and realised that I hadn't been using the proof colour checkbox on PS so I had a quick go with it turned on to see what I could do with the colours set to Monitor RGB. I do intend having a better go at it tonight. I'm off to Holland in the morning, so I'm not getting the scope out even if it's clear, so I'm going to have a go at this again, and maybe M31 now I have learnt a few things.

I'm happy with the overall progress though, certainly improving which is all that matters.

Thanks for the kind words, it's certainly a big steep learning curve, and your encouragement does help me to keep focus on improving rather than carry on along the same route without improvement.

Just leveled the colours a bit and removed gradient from previous pic above. Not re-processed as such. Will have a proper play later once the van is packed and I've had some tea.