• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

One for the Birders :o)

catman161

Hey Guys,

As I mentioned in the thread the Martyn made to congratulate my recent nuptuals, I saw some birds on honeymoon that I just had to try and take some snaps of and subsequently wondered if any of you could help Identify :)

I think the bird of prey is a Kestrel?? The birds eating my scone crumbs are sparrows or maybe a finch of some kind looking at their beaks? I am totally useless when it comes to identifying birds but am fairly good with other wildlife as have always been interested in it. The main one I am interested in identifying is the little waders on the beach.

Anyway thanks for ya help guys and hope you enjoy the pictures :)

Cracking photos

Where I set up stall each Sunday, we have the river Humber on one side and

a nature reserve on the other.

So there,s always someting flying by or landing

Awesome, thanks Mick :). Was I right about the Kestrel and the sparrows??

It's always good to try and find out what you are looking at I think. Katie and I were watching them (the waders) for quite a while. Lovely to watch them all moving together searching for food in the shallows/wet sand.

Yes, cracking Kestrel (fem) photo Felix! I agree with Mick on Sanderlings, great birds to watch at the tide line. Good photo's mate! :)

Thanks Ron :)

I really like birds of prey. I particularly like red kites-they're just such awesome flyers and I love their tails!

I enjoyed watching the sparrows as they were less than a foot from me :)

You should go to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water in the next 4 weeks if you can, 4-6 Ospreys there, easy to see and photo. The youngsters are learning to catch fish now so a lot of swooping, diving and splashing to be seen! Not to far for you, just the other side of Melton, nr Oakham?

Oh fab-thanks Ron. Yes I have been to Rutland water before. Nice to just walk around even without all the wildlife.

Do you have any meets planned in the next few weeks Ron as i for one would be interested in going to watch the Ospreys as well as the other wildlife.

Nothing arranged as yet? It's the Iinternational Bird Fair next weekend (Bill Oddie speaking etc..) So maybe a Saturday afternoon some time?? I any other's fancy it we could make it a meet!!??