• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Toasty Tele

bryand

Another big frac on an ioptron mount. Nice to see. I too have to use a height extension to stop the diagonal hitting the tripod legs.

Nice neat setup Bryan. I like that it all turns together. I'll have to look into that idea. Absolute necessity on a bad dewy night otherwise once the kit hits dewpoint temperature it's game over. I use an LED light dimmer with 3 separate control knobs to regulate power to my dew heaters.

Alan.

A very tidy job Bryan, the pipe insulation is a stroke of genius, both light and fully accessible.

The FLIR intrigues me too, how did you come by that?

I like it. I am thinking of using Velcro to attach my “new” controller to either my mount or my counterweight shaft mounted battery. I had some spare pipe insulation now where did I put it..?

That's a really neat setup there Brian, well done and thanks for sharing. Out of interest, what battery are you using and how long will that give you with your hefty set of bands...

In case you were wondering, this is how the pipe insulation is held onto the telescope. One for Friar William of Occam, I think.

large.pipe-ins.JPG.7e7d77b629378469bc88dece60e14cac.JPG

The FLIR camera is one of the original FLIR Ones, which has a lightning connector for my Ipad.  The newer ones have higher resolution and a price to match.

The batteries are Cyclon circular lead-acid batteries, rated at 2V and 8 Amp/hrs.  With the large dewshield tape shown in the pics the system draws 3.2 Amps, so the batteries would last 2 hours or so at full power.  I normally use them at about 50%, so double the duration.  Substituting a smaller dewshield tape reduces the draw to 1.8 Amps, so over 4 hours at 100%.

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed, especially love the idea of a counterweight battery, any chance of a pic?

To make a better fit for my mount, I turned the case from two Walnut discs.

large.1163229206_walnutplastic.JPG.57905e19d68c78223509831400319a68.JPG

In the foreground is the plastic iOptron version, which mine was based on. 

If you want to experiment, you can have the case for the cost of the postage.  It fits 20 mm or 28 mm counterweight shafts.

The bad news is that you'll need six 8 Amp/hr Cyclon batteries, which aren't cheap.

Edited by bryand