• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First images with my new (used) SV50

DeanWatson

Good start.

A few tips

Lower gamma to help with focusing then return to default (thats if you can alter it)

I don't know what your frame rate is but keep capture to under 60 secs

look to have the peak of the histogram at about 70 to 80 %

use autostackert pick ROI and scroll through to a good fame then hit analyse

stack between 10 and 30 % of the best frames

get a bigger hard drive 🤣

1 hour ago, Ibbo said:

Good start.

A few tips

Lower gamma to help with focusing then return to default (thats if you can alter it)

I don't know what your frame rate is but keep capture to under 60 secs

look to have the peak of the histogram at about 70 to 80 %

use autostackert pick ROI and scroll through to a good fame then hit analyse

stack between 10 and 30 % of the best frames

get a bigger hard drive 🤣

Thanks for that Steve, yes I will have a look at the gamma.  The thing being so low with thin cloud/bad seeing didn't help much.  I usually keep the sequence to around 50 to 60 though.  I do much of the rest of what you describe, both in AS and Registax as one or the other sometimes plays silly sods.  But the help is much appreciated.  As i say, early days with this, not even played with the fine tuning of the instrument yet.

You will soon get the hang of it

With tuning I keep an eye of the right hand side of the histogram and with my kit it is best with the end of the curve as vertical as you can get it

Try imppg for sharpening but go steady with it

The SV50 is a well regarded bit of kit.

16 hours ago, Ibbo said:

You will soon get the hang of it

With tuning I keep an eye of the right hand side of the histogram and with my kit it is best with the end of the curve as vertical as you can get it

Try imppg for sharpening but go steady with it

The SV50 is a well regarded bit of kit.

I sort of thought I was getting the hang of it... I've used a PST before so this isn't really a new thing for me, just a case of getting used to the scope with the camera. I have to say this is far superior to the PST.  I originally looked at the daystar quark etc but then was offered a good deal on this SV50 which for its aperture (and possibly a bit more) just about as good as you get although I know its open to some debate (as these things always are).  The first time I took this out I didn't have long to work what with the Sun being low with thin cloud and fairly high wind (which even on a decent mount really didn't help...).  Shouldn't be too  much of an issue under better conditions to get superior results.