• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Starting off cheap

Guest gbobnopants

Being a refractor man I think a good starter scope is a 90mm frac on a eq mount, you get to learn the basics of mounts and scopes and a good price these days ! Ebay 130 quid tops.

Don't worry about feeling cheeky about coming to a dark site meet and asking to have a look through our scopes! I can't speak for absolutely everyone but I think I say with some certainty that most of us want people to do that so they can make a better, more informed decision about what to buy.

I only started astronomy properly in dec 2011 as my wife bought me a beautiful pair of celestron Skymaster 15x70 binoculars. If it hadn't have been for the help of the folks on here (particularly BrantUK) I wouldn't have had a clue where to start! So please please do come and look through my scope if you see me at the next meet. I have a 200P which I took apart and fully flocked myself and added a lacerta 10:1 microfocuser adapter. I also sold the straight through finder scope that came with it and bought an Orion 9x50 right angled correct image (RACI) finder-really saves your neck ache, highly recommended mod in my opinion. Martyn (BAZ senior) wrote a great step by step guide for fitting the the microfocuser.

In a nutshell please don't be afraid of coming along and asking to have a go with our scopes. 9 times out of 10 we want people to have a go and share what we are looking at. Also it gives us a chance to talk about astronomy to someone who actually wants to listen, not just has to listen cos they are our wife/family members! ;)

I couldn't agree more, you need good information to make the right decision, and I for one would be very happy to let you use my scope. That way you get a feel of what is right, both for your eye, and pocket. I wouldn't worry about imaging until you have got the hang of the sky, and getting used to whatever equipment you buy.

Nicely put Felix - I've not met anyone in our group who isn't keen to show someone a view in their scope, offer scope buying advice, or simply point out some objects in the sky to look at. You'll find you won't have to ask Glynn - folks will insist you have a look in their scope - we don't leave anyone out :)

I agree with all the above, there have been times at most meets where there are queues forming behind peoples scopes!

I agree with all the above, there have been times at most meets where there are queues forming behind peoples scopes!

Usually the most expensive or biggest aperture :D

Guest heathenwoods

All the above points are good ones; I've made a number of mistakes which could have been avoided had I actually taken the advice I was given when I was looking to start off. One thing to consider is where you are going to store it and where and when you are going to use it. What I've settled on at the moment is a 150 dob - primarily because in the unpredictable snatched hours I get to stargaze I need something that can be easily and quickly lugged outside with zero set-up time. I also want it inside so it has to be fairly unobtrusive. You may not need to consider these things but practical considerations can sometimes overrule aspirations :-)

You've already what I consider to be my most invaluable piece of kit: Turn Left at Orion. Such a helpful book! If you have a PC then Stellarium is a great, free, download.

There is a 200p Dob on eBay at the minute on "buy it now" for I think it's £200. A very popular and capable scope at an appropriate price. Not exactly bargain, but not expensive by any stretch. New price is just under £300.

Guest gbobnopants

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge guys i have been trying to read on scopes on quite a few sites and other than power is not the way to go and 1 reverses the image i cant find the pros and cons of them out ive found out whats what as regards the stands and definatly want an eq. Ive already got stellarium but need to spend more time on there to find out how to use it properly left at orion is good ive found another book which i like written by one of the proffesors at notts uni doesnt really tell you much about were what is up there but tells you what makes it tick. When is the next meet at belper i promise ill look through your scope felix

Keep an eye on the announcements section for the next Belper meet. I will try to get to it if I am free. Not been to Belper for a while.

I have to agree with all that's been said already. Like Felix I only started last year when I purchased my first scope but since then I have added another two. Most people often get what's called aperture fever and go for the biggest aperture possible. I was also one of those and while it's a really good scope and I'm extremely happy with it, it is not the lightest or easiest scope to pack up for a dark sky meet. I have since purchased a much smaller refractor for a grab and go scope and a third scope which came bundled with the second mount I needed for the GnG setup. A lot of people once they get started actually start to reduce the size of their scope for portability and the wide field views for larger clusters and nebulae and astrophotography. Equally too small a scope and you may not be able to see the things that you want to see and this will mean upgrading to a larger scope or dissapointment and a dwindling interest and the scope then going on eBay or gathering dust in a cupboard. Things might have been very different if I'd come across this forum before I purchased a scope so take every opportunity to come along to a meet and see other peoples. Everyone on this forum is very friendly and more than helpful. Also as well as deciding on what type and size of scope suits your needs, it's a good chance to take a look through different eye pieces. these too are not straight forward to select the ones that are best for you. Don't be tempted to go for too high a magnification as these narrow your field of view and can in less than perfect seeing conditions give a blurry image due to turbulance in the atmosphere. also eye relief is an important consideration for comfortable viewing. In general the more expensive the EP the better quality the glass and finish is but if the eye relief doesn't suit your eyes then they will be a waste. Welcome to the steep, frustrating but highly rewarding and enjoyable hobby that is amataur astronomy :)