• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Easiest?....CCD or DSLR

Celeste

I have been wondering which would be the easiest to use, CCD or DSLR, as I have seen some stunning DSLR pics go way over CCD (like my crappy old thing lol!) I wonder if the money I spent on the CCD would have been better saved for a DSLR.....Maybe I need an upgraded CCD instead of a DSLR ARGHHHH I'm going round in circles! HELP!

If you're serious about imaging I would concentrate first on researching and getting a suitable mount (not one that clicks lol). CG5 GT goto, HEQ5 pro, or NEQ6 pro in ascending order of cost. If you go CCD camera you'll need at least one of these. You'll also need a guide scope and guide camera with any of these (separate to the imaging camera). A dslr would be the cheaper way to start - and I agree with Stephen probably the easier alternative. You can get superb results with a dslr and soon get to know if you want to invest in a CCD. Look at the Atik 314L+ if you want a drool at the cheaper end :)

Lol Kim, a new mount is a given atm....I was musing over images and tbh for me....maybe it's just me...but I couldn't tell much of a difference between CCD and DSLR images. Alot of DSLR images were far better (to my eyes) than some CCD ones. I'm no photo expert though!

Dont forget cheapo webcams like the spc900's and similar - they give very satisfying results for little cost and effort.

Personally I've struggled and got frustrated since upgrading to a DSLR a couple of months ago - I'm hoping for someone to give me some beginners lessons at EMS1!

Thanks for the replies guys :) I have an SPC880/900 webcam, It's pretty neat on the planets.

Noel, I have a Starlight Xpress MX7C CCD, it's pretty old! I am wanting to get a shot of the milky way, and some general everyday photography too....I can't see a way of doing this with the CCD on the scope. I've seen some really nice DSLR images and like for like, the cost difference is huge. Some CCD's are VERY £££ whereas a used decent DSLR can be under got for around £400. I've been told DSLR is easier than CCD to work.....I'm just wondering and trying to weigh up which way to go forward...

Edit: Sorry but to me the text is tiny almost unreadable...sorry if it seems to be huge after posting! I've set the text size to 18 lol see what happens....

Edited by Celeste

MB Photographic is a good place for second hand and recon'd dslr's - I got a 1000D body only for circa £200 - should be a spot cheaper nowadays :)