• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First crack at M45 with the dslr

Graham

Hi folks.

Woke up early this morning so I decided to have a crack at M45.

Having never tried to image this before with the Cannon it was a 'suck it and see' type of session for me.

I only managed to get 19 subs before the sky got too light.

Still for a first I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

So this is 19 30 second subs at ISO 800

11 darks

No flats.

Stacked in DSS

Light processing in PS 6.

Edited by Astrotec Limited

Oh do I feel a prat.

I spent ages in Photoshop this morning trying to get rid of the 'Halos' now I find out that they are suppose to be there. :blush: :blush: :blush::lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol - you did have me wondering Graham - the tracking looks spot on though - here's something like what you're aiming for: (note - this isn't one of mine I just lifted it from google for your reference).

Pleiades.jpg

well the intent was there to shoot as many subs as I could tonight but and there is always a but.

I went to a barbi where the Fosters was flowing freely and ?????

Got home set up on M31 so I could get the guiding up and running ready to drop down onto M 45 when it cleared the house.

It was so warm last night I just sat in the garden under a crystal clear sky staring at the stars.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was the Meridian limit stop alarm that finally woke me up at 4 oclock this morning.

I was still sitting in the garden.

I have no idea how long the alarm had been going off as PHD tried in vein to get the mount to track past the limit stop, must have been a good couple of hours.

Anyway the upshot is I had run out of darkness again and only managed 3 3 min subs on M 45.

Oh well maybe tonight. lol

Too right Pat.

I can just see it now.

Get home from work in the dark, fire up the obsy locate the target and then sit back and watch it collect 8 to 10 hours of subs.

Go to work while the camera collects darks all day.

Cannot wait.