• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

mount/tracking

Sheila

Tracking on my mount seems to wander a bit, is this normal? Set on Albireo 4mm lens right in centre. Went for a brew when I came back it was almost to edge of view in EP, is this normal or have I got something wrong?

Sheila

You at maximum magnification and a very narrow FOV, if you had a 10mm+ ep in place I think it would need checking? But with that narrower FOV I think that it's acceptable? :)

just noticed from answer I typed 4mm lens it was 8mm. must have semi asleep!

Sheila

The only thing to cure drift is accurate polar alignment. This is one of the main reasons for using a guide scope when imaging - just to eek out those last morsels of accuracy required. There's also a technique called drift alignment - but I've never tried it cos it's quite involved and you need to know what you're doing extremely well.

As Ron says - a wider eyepiece will stay centered for longer with a rough polar aligned scope. :)

You could try what I did, update your handset with polar alignment included? Read my thread on trying it last night!

You could try what I did, update your handset with polar alignment included? Read my thread on trying it last night!

I read that but was a little worried bout doing it before Kelling. As you know have had quite a few probs with mount and did not want to mess it up again. How do I know what firmware version I hav on my mount? K'm not a wizz with computers as Stephen will tell you!

And I just knew someone was going to beat me about the head with polar alignment :( I just about manage to break my back everytime I do it. After a spinal op a few years ago the position of the polar scope is difficult for me. But will have another look at it

Sheila

Guest Kheldar

I read that but was a little worried bout doing it before Kelling. As you know have had quite a few probs with mount and did not want to mess it up again. How do I know what firmware version I hav on my mount? K'm not a wizz with computers as Stephen will tell you!

And I just knew someone was going to beat me about the head with polar alignment :( I just about manage to break my back everytime I do it. After a spinal op a few years ago the position of the polar scope is difficult for me. But will have another look at it

Sheila

The firmware is the first thing that is displayed on the handset when you power everything up.

I would not dare to comment on your computer skills ;)

If you like I will bring all the software required to Kelling and we can update your handset there to spare your back / knees?

thank you all for your find words bout my knees, back age catching up, i am sure i can get my own back at kelling in some way :ph34r: so be warned

thank you all for your find words bout my knees, back age catching up, i am sure i can get my own back at kelling in some way :ph34r: so be warned

that was kind words or fine I am note sure!