• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from NG2

dawson

Hi, I'm James from West Bridgford (really Compton Acres, but WB sounds posher).

I'm pretty much new to astronomy and photography, but keen to learn a bit more and to learn about astrophotography.

I've got a SKyWatcher 127 telescope and a Canon EOS camera.

It will be good to interact with some of you and learn some tips.

James

Hi James

A warm welcome to EMS.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here, fire away with any questions.

i am sure you will not wait long for the answers.

Best regards

John

Welcome James, you've come to the right place! Good scope and camera to start with I'm sure you will get 'fired up' to enjoy the hobby!!

Ron

I've used other forums, but I think it will take me time to get my head around this one. I don't want to post a question in the wrong area, or post a question which has recently already been posted.

JD

Not a problem James.

Ask away.

The admin guy's can always move the post to the correct/best place.

Even if it has been asked before it always helps to re air things from time to time.

We all do that anyway!! It's an easy going forum James so don't worry about it! :D :D

Have a look at the Darksites threads James.

We meet at Sawley and Belper to get good skies.

Belper is especially good and it is always great to put faces to names.

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a similar set-up to you - just ask if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

If I can't help we have a little army of knowledge here to point you in the right direction :)

All the best, Dan

The other forum I frequent is a work-related one, and it is often quite an intimidating environment as people are very critical and all too quick to make snide comments, even if they are in jest. Hence my reservations.

But none of that here yet - thank you.

James

Hi James and a warm welcome to EMS :)

We're all chums here which I'm sure you'll get to experience - the benefit of being a local group is that we can all meet at observing sessions and get to know one another - so you've no need to worry on that. You'll find everyone very friendly and helpful - so once you find the Beginners Section feel free to post any question you like.

There's also "Martyn Coffee Shop" a section where we chat about anything non astro related if that takes your interest. You'll soon get the hang of it all. We hire two sites for observing - you'd be welcome to attend sometime - keep your eye on the "Announcements" section and "Local Meets" (especially at the weekend) for when and where the next one will be. First visit is free and if you enjoy yourself and want to attend regularly we all chip in a small subscription to pay for the fields (currently £20 per year per member). Meantime enjoy the forum and hope to see you soon. :)

Hi james

Welcome to EMS, friendly and helpful bunch here. Even to females! Although you should have a well developed sense of humour. No one is going to make fun or be over the top here they are all great. I only recently joined and have received loads of assistance and help on line and in person. You have come to the right place.

Sheila

Hi James and welcome to EMS.

We are all a cracking good bunch on here, and we have a cracking good sense of humour with NO hostility, you will be fine.

Enjoy the forum.

Great, thank you both.

If anyone in Nottingham is planning to do some observing / photography, I'd be really keen to come along and watch, as I've no idea really what to do! I'd offer my back garden, but it's not particularly dark, especially when the neighjbours security light comes on and burns ones retinas!

I'm currently playing with daytime time lapse photography without the telescope - just clouds and the like at present. I'm waiting for an external power source for my camera to arrive from ebay so I can have a go at doing soemthing for 24 hours or longer; limited to about 8 hours at the moment with one battery.

James

I've used other forums, but I think it will take me time to get my head around this one. I don't want to post a question in the wrong area, or post a question which has recently already been posted.

JD

Hi james, welcome. You don't need to worry about anything like that here, EMS is (in my opinion) the best British astronomy forum on the net (i may be a little biased tho :blush: ) and don't forget our first starparty at the darker sky Lincs Coast in OCT be nice to see you there.

David

Hi James, a warm welcome to EMS.

As mentioned above, feel free to ask any questions you have. I can't really add to whats already been said, so enjoy the forum.

Hi James, welcome to EMS.

I was (and still am) a relative beginner and couldn't have asked for a better group to get me started.

If you aren't sure where to post, take your best guess as we can always move it. :)