• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rechargeable batteries

dawson

Does anyone have any recommendation of a battery charger for rechargable AA batteries, or are they all pretty much as good (or as bad) as each other?

James

Great, I'll just buy a bog standard one. I wasn't sure if anyone had discovered a really good one at a bargain price.

JD

Most scopes tend to be powered by portable power packs that will last all night like the Maplins 5 in 1 power pack. Some also use PSU's plugged into camp site mains hook up. Imho recharging standard batteries is a waste of time and money. Beware some scopes use 6 volts - most are 12v. :)

Thanks. I wasn't just thinking of my telescope (which doesn't get as much use as it should), but for a range of devices. I just thought it would make sense to start using rechargeable ones.

I've ordered a device off ebay, and some Duracell batteries.

Kim, why do you think rechargeable is a waste of money?

James

I was thinking you're running a scope from 4 or 6 Duracels - they wouldn't last half an hour on a cold night James. For a 4 or 5 hr session you'd at laest need a 17ah field pack. But if it's for other devices - torch, radio controlled car, lady shave etc - then Gliders recommendation probably fits the bill lol - my mistake :)

Ah, I see yes. I need rechargeable for a range of devices around the house. I hadn't realised though they would be so short lived for moving the scope around.

THanks again for the comments.

James

• 4 weeks later...