• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Leo Triplet

Bottletopburly

Not sure which I prefer, I think the stars look better on the second but the galaxies better on the first?

• Thanks 1

On the first set of flats there was some issues with dust bunnies /blotchiness that wasn’t being corrected so I was looking for an adu 25000 value but with a 2sec exposure, so two layers of cotton over scope and use a tablet as light source came out at 7 sec using Apt flats aid too long so increased brightness slightly and got 2.3 sec and that flat worked I could also see the anomalies on the flat produced this time so maybe something to watch out for as flats are the biggest pain but knowing I could see the anomalies gave me an inkling it would work, previous flat was too short of an exposure at around 0.5 sec I think , reading comments on flats 2-3 sec on the cmos cameras seems to be the sweet spot with an adu of 25000.

2 minutes ago, Clive said:

I thought that the ZWO533MC was a 14 bit camera, so why were you aiming for 25000 ADU for your flats?

It’s full well  is 50 k they say roughly half full well 25 k some use 30k , 

48 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

It’s full well  is 50 k they say roughly half full well 25 k some use 30k , 

The ZWO533MC full-well capacity is 50k electrons but the maximum output from its 14 bit ADC is only 16383 ADU so if you're measuring the ADU of images I would expect to aim for 7000 to 9000 ADU (but perhaps your measurement software assumes your camera specifications and converts the image ADU values to electrons?)

It suddenly struck me that the camera probably muliplies its 14 bit ADU value by 4 to create a pseudo 16 bit value for the FITS file (so halve scale would be about 32k ADU).

• Like 1

On 02/02/2022 at 08:46, Clive said:

It suddenly struck me that the camera probably muliplies its 14 bit ADU value by 4 to create a pseudo 16 bit value for the FITS file (so halve scale would be about 32k ADU).

Confirmed by ivo at APT , camera driver scales to 16 bit  ivo measured a 15 sec exposure Adu value of 65,535 .

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Confirmed by ivo at APT , camera driver scales to 16 bit  ivo measured a 15 sec exposure Adu value of 65,535 .

Well don't use those as flats! 😆