• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi all

Guest Astroplodder

Guest Astroplodder

Greetings

I had an unexpected visitor to my house today - an East Midlands Stargazer member. She had spied my observatory dome in the garden and, with great courage, introduced herself.

Suffice to say that I am very interested in Astronomy and have been since 1957 (or earlier!) but the IGY and launch of Sputnik 1 was very special. I was born in 1950, so delighted to say that I lived through the manned spaceflight "race" and, furthermore, I'm now retired :)

I've possessed several telescopes during this time and presently have a 200mm SCT, 150mm refractor and my main instrument which is a 300mm SCT.

I am getting to grips with imaging but would appreciate help and guidance from more experienced people. I would also really appreciate help with the fine fettling of the 300mm SCT (Meade) as regards go to and alignment etc, if anybody here can offer help? My interests are mainly solar, lunar and planetary observations as the lack of dark skies means deep sky objects are quite poor.

That's about it for now. All this time and never knew EMSG existed :)

BW

AP

Hi Genya and a warm welcome to EMS :)

You've got some great kit there and a great history of experience. I'm sure the help will be mutual. We meet here on the forum and also rent two dark sites at Belper and Sawley where we have observing sessions as a group. You'd be most welcome to pop along to one of them and savour the great atmosphere. We also organise group bookings at star parties and other astro events.

Meantime enjoy findong your way around the forum :)

Hi Genya, a warm welcome to EMS.

You have some nice kit, which obviously didn't go unnoticed to the trained eye!

As Kim mentioned you are very welcome to join us, keep an eye on the EMS meets in the information and announcements section.

Iam sorry bit I can't help with the SCT's, or goto's for that matter, but there are some members who have used these and Iam sure would help.

Enjoy the forum.

Guest Astroplodder

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

Well, Sawley *isn't* too far from me and, indeed, my dentist is located there :) (I still have (some) teeth left!).

I haven't got a small enough image of the Meade so need to process one but I *have* uploaded 3 images so far: solar (white light), lunar and Jupiter. All were taken using the Meade and a Phillips web cam.

I *know* I could do better :)

Welcome along to EMS Genya. As you know we are a friendly bunch. I like the sound of your obsy if it is noticeable from a distance it must be pretty impressive :). Hope to meet you at a gathering maybe kelling or EMS 1

Welcome to the forums! :)

You've been doing astronomy for longer than I have been alive! :D

Guest Astroplodder

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. We will have to arrange a visit to the observatory - please note that this is at my home address so parking etc is a little limited. However, that shouldn't be much of an obstacle :)

We'll fix something up - especially when the nights get a little darker earlier :)

BW

AP

I can imagin it now, 20 odd cars parked out side your house, bet that would go down well with the neighbours.

:)

Guest wisewoman

Hey there,

Glad you found us!

Just thought I'd add that there is space for 3 or 4 cars at the end of my Close so that would be an option - then we could just wander over. :)

Melissa

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. We will have to arrange a visit to the observatory - please note that this is at my home address so parking etc is a little limited. However, that shouldn't be much of an obstacle :)

We'll fix something up - especially when the nights get a little darker earlier :)

BW

AP

Guest wisewoman

Hi there,

I do have an 80mm Meade with Goto on it. If your handset is anything like mine I can certainly help set it up and align it. I suspect though that your magnificent beasts handset may have a bit more to it.

Actually I feel that the Goto is a bit like cheating - I learnt my way around the sky with a planisphere and Patrick Moores Observer Guide - so guess I'm a bit old school at heart! :)

Melissa

I am getting to grips with imaging but would appreciate help and guidance from more experienced people. I would also really appreciate help with the fine fettling of the 300mm SCT (Meade) as regards go to and alignment etc, if anybody here can offer help?

BW

AP

Guest Astroplodder

Scotland?! I never knew the Midlands stretched so far - nearly astronomical in distance! :)

Again, very many thanx to all, for all the nice comments. I have been a member of BAA (for a good few years) but let this lapse, but never really involved with an actual group :(

I also used to tutor for the Open University (East Midlands strangely enough!) - not astronomy! - but used both the Keele 12" Cooke refractor and the 14" Celestron (? maybe Meade - my memory fades!) at York University, when I did Summer School "duties". I've also been able to use the Meade at Loughborough University when they had an open evening (my partner, Sue, works at the Uni). All instruments have been excellent and made me yearn for a big telescope myself. Was it Hale who said "More light!" ?

My Meade became my retirement project (I funded it in 2006 and retired in Nov 2000. There is still much to do - for example, setting up remote viewing - well, in the shed adjacent to it (was my radio shack), so that I can sit in the warm whilst the telescope slews to targets. Perhaps, and it's cheeky I know, some of you might like to help?!! LOL!

Anyway, must away to B&Q to use my "diamond card" (being over 60 has it's advantages! - free prescriptions and bus pass too!) but will engage a bit more later.... You've been warned!

Thanx again!

Clear skies!

Genya

Welcome aboard the good ship EMS. I am a member of the Long Eaton Astronomy Soc, at the school I used to attend many years ago. They have a 16" LX200 so I may be able to ask my brother in law (who runs the obs from a technical side) if he can share advice on setting up / alignment etc. I know they had some fun and games with it!

Guest Astroplodder

Perkil8r!

Oh my - that would be fantastic if your brother in law could advise!

the telescope is set up reasonably well but go to's still create problems - despite level north (not used in polar mount in fact) and GPS (which is), the telescope is - basically - dumb. My email address is

[email protected]

the same as the observatories name.

The reason I mention this is, is because it is an "in" joke (for me): the Meade asks for alignments on Polaris and - in my case - a second star, so it knows where it is pointing. When I sited the observatory, I located it to the north edge of the garden, where large trees are situated, as the north sky is less interesting for me than the south, with culmination of solar system objects etc: of course, this means that - *from the observatory pier* - I CAN'T see Polaris! :)

Ah well - I found it funny at least!

Thank you again

Genya

Hi Genya, welcome to EMS. We would also love to see your obsy. We have a mobile one as we don't have a back garden. :lol: