• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mount tuning

Bottletopburly

I remember a while ago posting a video link from cuiv the lazy geek about using a amp meter for balance now another YouTube video using a bespoke meter bit expensive as basically same as a clamp meter but he does go into finer tuning of mount thought I’d share .

2 hours ago, RonC said:

I did something similar in 2020.

large.IMG_6559Meter.jpg.83b6d3794ae1c2ce1f1a1ea4ce2e55a9.jpg

I did too ron but don’t think it was sensitive enough 

Thanks for sharing.

I have a new EQ mount incoming (a used one) so i may put this to a test.

• Like 1

I agree Dave, not quite sensitive enough. I now have a new PSU with a good digital read out which works fine..

Ron

• Like 1

Hmm, I,m not convinced myself for the benefits of a perfectly balanced mount. With the set ups I have had over the years best guiding has always been with a bit of load on the worm drives, the Celestron CGE was a begga for poor guiding in the early days when I had it until I discovered that I got better guiding graphs with both axes off a bit. So I balance by feel now then shift weight and scope slightly to put some load on the drives

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philjay said:

Hmm, I,m not convinced myself for the benefits of a perfectly balanced mount. With the set ups I have had over the years best guiding has always been with a bit of load on the worm drives, the Celestron CGE was a begga for poor guiding in the early days when I had it until I discovered that I got better guiding graphs with both axes off a bit. So I balance by feel now then shift weight and scope slightly to put some load on the drives

Yes Phil know where your coming from , for this chap it seemed to work out ok .