• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Milky Way Timelapse (Kelling Side Project)

Guest Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

As per title, why have one big project (Veil) on the go when I can have two :)

I'm thinking static DSLR 30s exposures with 30s gap. Trees / tents added for artistic effect.

Overkill? Underkill?

Thoughts and spanners welcome :)

It might or might not be of any help but I saw a picture someone posted of the milkyway with 30 x 16 second exposures and it looked pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AstrioMan

Just joined this site

Noticed that you are a member of "Dark Site Group"

How do I join? Is there a link on here?

I've been looking at the Satellite picture of light pollution in the Peak District and wondered if anyone had visited any of the dark spots on the map.

not sure how to load an image on to here

Just joined this site

Noticed that you are a member of "Dark Site Group"

How do I join? Is there a link on here?

I've been looking at the Satellite picture of light pollution in the Peak District and wondered if anyone had visited any of the dark spots on the map.

not sure how to load an image on to here

Hi Ken,

Welcome to EMS, we have a couple of dark sites, one near Belper, one near Sawley, the Belper one is the better of the 2 and on a clear night the milkyway is visible, membership is £20/year but the first visit to each site is free, I suggest you make a post in the welcome section :)

OK would appear the concensus is yes :)

Does anyone have any technical input?

No technical input but a couple of questions just out of interest.

Would you still need to process each frame as you would in DSS with darks etc or just use them in their raw form.

Also what software is suitable for making such an animation?

I was looking at an Intervalometer for my Canon 450D - about £55. It allows you to program in a configurable number of exposures to make this kind of movie. I think they come with software to turn the pictures into avi files.

But I'm wondering if Backyard EOS would do the same - not played with it yet but I'm hoping I'll have time to sit a bit and think about these things while at Kelling Heath.

Then maybe get myself organised for EMS1.