• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A new mount.......

Bino-viewer

You still had kidneys to sell rob 😆 I’ll go for a punt on a rainbow mount  or an ioptron cem 40 🤔

Haha......can't afford new kit at present.

This is a trade ; no £££ involved.

• Like 1

Very nice. That’s a hefty bit of kit.  I agree with you about metal tripods. Will it fit directly to your Berlebach or do you need an adapter?

7 hours ago, Streetbob said:

Very nice. That’s a hefty bit of kit.  I agree with you about metal tripods. Will it fit directly to your Berlebach or do you need an adapter?

Thanks.

It perhaps looks a bit heftier than it is.

It actually only weighs 11kg which is closer to your HEQ5 sort of spec (around 10kg) and is quite a bit smaller and a lower profile

than an EQ6 class of mount which is a much heavier 17kg.

Payload for this Vixen is quoted at 22kg, which is over double my current scopes weight.

The counterweights are quite small ; I have a 3.7kg and 1.9kg weight option.

Its quite a clever design in that the declination body acts as part of the counterweight system, thereby reducing the need for big heavy weights on the counterweight shaft.

Regarding tripods i will have to source an adapter from the fatherland.

Berlebach do them, but they are quite pricey.

Unfortunately, when i got the Planet tripod (which was a Facebook marketplace buy, believe it or not) it came with an EQ5 mount fit.

Its very similar to the Vixen (Sphinx) but just a bit too big.

Why they can't have some sort of standardisation for these mounts i really don't know.

I may see if i can source a used UNI 18, and keep the planet option for visual with the DM6.

It may seem logical to use the Vixen with a sturdier tripod, but to be honest, it probably doesn't require it.

We shall see.

7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Its quite a clever design in that the declination body acts as part of the counterweight system, thereby reducing the need for big heavy weights on the counterweight shaft.

That is clever.  Heavy counterweights are a pain. 

7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Why they can't have some sort of standardisation for these mounts i really don't know

I had a similar problem with my scope/focuser attachment.

Looking forward to more details and pics.

On 30/03/2022 at 12:00, Bino-viewer said:

Initial look, and i've not had chance to fully set this up and have a play yet.

Its a second hand trade for my small refractor : this is a 2020 Vixen SXP2 equatorial mount.

Its in excellent condition, and has only had minimal use.

I'm very impressed with the initial inspection ; its a nice quality bit of kit.

I'm not a fan of the aluminium tripod though. It will be receiving the Berlebach treatment in due course.

So this will be my 'imaging mount' going forward and my 140mm refractor will be riding on it.

I still have my DM-6 alt-az for visual use, and have no plans to sell or trade that.

IMG_3725

Looks good. 

IE6TK8el.jpg

The tripod looks the same as the HAL-130.

nZEcNrAl.jpg

It's OK up to around 5kg with the Porta II, but a heavier load than 5kg can have vibration/return issues at high magnifications. 

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 1