• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Really black flocking

Bottletopburly

£50  a roll plus costs for shipping and tax possibly , I’d like to see a comparable  image with Wilkinson’s against this just to see if it’s a noticeable difference I have the Wilkinson’s in my Newtonian.

32 minutes ago, BAZ said:

I can afford Wilko's velour, I might struggle with this one though.

I guess it's how far you want to go, if money is no object then Vanta Black is the way to go.  I am just visual, so even the £50 one wouldn't really be cost effective for me.  

I recommended some flocking material to @Graham a few years ago that seemed to do the trick.

Decent stuff, from a UK company called 'ABM Flocking'

Currently the website seems to be down.

And i have a roll of it in my garage.....!!

If anybody wants any flocking (not flogging ! 😀 ; nearly a good typo there) give me a shout.

When I flocked my 200p a few years ago the difference was quite noticeable compared to the skywatcher black paint  and that was using the Wilkinson’s version how noticeable it would be compared to using vanta black or the Japanese flocking I would certainly be intrigued to see,

I looked at this for photography uses and watched a video about it: (comparisons at 2:43 mins in)

8 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

When I flocked my 200p a few years ago the difference was quite noticeable compared to the skywatcher black paint  and that was using the Wilkinson’s version how noticeable it would be compared to using vanta black or the Japanese flocking I would certainly be intrigued to see,

One day I shall flock my 200PDS - any tips? I am rich in flocking material (bought it a few months ago) and short on time and courage...

12 minutes ago, Bob Dobber said:

One day I shall flock my 200PDS - any tips? I am rich in flocking material (bought it a few months ago) and short on time and courage...

Take your time and peel backing off as you go don’t peel off first , get some one to give you a hand start and finish off at the seem joint and overlap slightly .

56 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Take your time and peel backing off as you go don’t peel off first , get some one to give you a hand start and finish off at the seem joint and overlap slightly .

Yeah I reckon I will be OK with the actual flocking, it's removing primary and secondary mirrors and so on that scares me a bit!! I've not really had the scope that long (six months I guess) and haven't really gone investigating how it is all held together, I'll probably find it is a really simple. "A dustbin with a mirror at the bottom", that's what I tell Mrs Bob.

Best time for flocking is mid summer, removing secondary and primary isn’t to be feared and is a skill to learn , I would say if your flocking then consider other upgrades whilst you have scope to bits so things you could consider which I’ve done to my scope.

Apeture mask to primary mirror  ,I fitted a Mask made by pavle from Deepskydad very good fitting and has a small return down side of mask , this stops reflections from the mirror edge and clips .

Black the secondary mirror edge stops any reflection, I used black paint but I would invest in some vanta black or similar extremely black light absorbing paint .

Black the drawtube inside the tube and the outer edge to stop reflections .

Fit a dew heater to secondary mirror 

Consider fitting an M48 adapter to connect camera to scope this will move the draw tube out of the ota , so less intrusion of drawtube into ota so not affecting stars, if drawtube still affects stars then trim off excess I would thing you would only need to trim 6mm off if using m48 adapter, the only downside to this is you wouldn’t be able to rotate camera I believe (I fitted a baader steeltack focuser and used the m48 connection which their design allows to be rotated to suit , which I will rotate so star spikes are square to sensor and leave at that )

check focuser is Square to Ota and tweak to suit  , my focuser was way off being square on my 200pds .

Black spider vanes if you buy vanta black paint ,

Fit losmondy style dovetail  plate , newer style mounts have dual saddle pucks to allow this .

other tweak I done  which weren’t totally necessary I added a third Ota ring supported by a bar  and fitted guidescope to the top bar , all tweaks were just aimed at trying to make that extra little difference and once my motherboard for mount comes back hopefully I can verify my modifications.large.B1D363E0-2287-42D0-B16B-0F78A21E9BF4.jpeg.723006c710b503a73ed20ddcc1be3783.jpeg

11 hours ago, Bob Dobber said:

Yeah I reckon I will be OK with the actual flocking, it's removing primary and secondary mirrors and so on that scares me a bit!! I've not really had the scope that long (six months I guess) and haven't really gone investigating how it is all held together, I'll probably find it is a really simple. "A dustbin with a mirror at the bottom", that's what I tell Mrs Bob.