• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

WO Binoviewer Case #Umpteenth Revision

Nightspore

There’s a lot of choice there. I’d spend most of my observing time trying to decide what to use. Never was strong on making decisions.

17 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

There’s a lot of choice there. I’d spend most of my observing time trying to decide what to use. Never was strong on making decisions.

And this is the simplified selection lol! The bino's don't get out that often. When they do they're invariably used in my cat's. Mostly the 127mm Mak. The Amici is for the Moon and the dielectric is for planets and anything else (usually M42). To be honest, the 20mm SWAN's and the 15mm SuperViews are used the most, usually with one of the nosepiece Barlows.

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 2

I've found what i consider a good balance of choice with binoviewing.

4 pairs of eyepieces collected over nearly 10 years years (24, 19, 15 & 12mm) cover pretty much every requirement 

using no amplifier or a 2.6x amplifier. The 24 & 19 Panoptics being my favourites.

I made the mistake of getting one big case for everything. Designed to carry a musical instrument rather than astronomy gear !! 😀  

It looked ok but then i realised i'd forgotten to put my 2" mirror diagonal in there, and there's no room for it 😬

And i often have anything up to 20 lens caps in there if i'm using multiple pairs (easily lost) 

So i think at some point i'll go to a 2 case set up : one for binoviewing and another for mono.

The case below is a bit out of date.

The Baader Max 2 bino has been sold, and replaced with a new mirror bino.

One of the 12.5mm Docters has been sold. A 35mm Panoptic (second hand) has joined it.

I also have a new APM 2" a 20mm 100º grenade. No room for that either.

I'm also expecting a 7-15mm zoom if it ever becomes a reality (been waiting nearly a year for that !)

So mono i'll have 35mm, 20mm, 12.5mm and the 7-15mm zoom plus the 2" mirror diagonal and 2 Powermate options.

Everything i'll ever need i think.

6C9E2E0C-58C9-4DE9-9638-1117CF5C6821_1_201_a

jWJLP2Rl.jpg

I've been through a few combinations. 

0rIJjmJl.jpg

I think the 20mm SWAN's have good performance and are lightweight enough for lunar/planetary. These were bought separately from the BV itself. After that the 15mm SuperViews do the job. The others are ' just in case'. In the 127mm Mak they give 123.3x with the 1.6x Barlow, 154x with the 2x Barlow. Which is usually more than enough for lunar/planetary with a bino.

QKqI3CMl.jpg

The 15mm SuperViews are often used if I want more power but don't want to change the Barlow.

UeHK4u7l.jpg

These and the SWAN's are pretty easy to merge. The other EP's are for when I'm feeling lucky lol.

I was lucky that the packing that came with mine fits in my box. So just filled the rest of the case with foam. Looks a little different now because I sold the delites and bought 2 pairs of pentax.

2022-04-05_07-41-24

• Like 2

On 05/04/2022 at 19:44, tuckstar said:

I was lucky that the packing that came with mine fits in my box. So just filled the rest of the case with foam. Looks a little different now because I sold the delites and bought 2 pairs of pentax.

2022-04-05_07-41-24

I have an 18.2mm DeLite. Now I want another! lol

3 hours ago, Nightspore said:

I have an 18.2mm DeLite. Now I want another! lol

They are lovely, but I just couldn't get any good views. I apparently have eyes too close together!!!! They were just too big. Ended up pushing against them and all I got was wobbly views. On the plus side I sold them for near enough the same price as two pairs of pentax which I get better views from simply because they fit my eyes.

Edited by tuckstar

51 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

They are lovely, but I just couldn't get any good views. I apparently have eyes too close together!!!! They were just too big. Ended up pushing against them and all I got was wobbly views. On the plus side I sold them for near enough the same price as two pairs of pentax which I get better views from simply because they fit my eyes.

That's one of the problems with bino's. There are so many factors to be able to merge properly and comfortably. I think only trial and error can solve it. I bought my 18.2mm years ago when the DeLites were fairly new. I have other focal lengths now as well.