• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rima Ariadaeus

Nightspore

DwC7bMN.jpg

Rima Ariadaeus is a 300 kilometre long rille situated to the west of the Sea of Tranquility. It is named after the nearby closely connected pair of craters ‘Ariadaeus’ and ‘Ariadaeus A’ .

53PrNUd.jpg

The rima was possibly formed when a section of the lunar crust sank between parallel fault lines. The fault is considerably younger than many of the nearby craters.

XQaY2FO.jpg

The Moon will be 38.8% illuminated and at an altitude of 46° at approximately 21:30 BST 7/5/22. 

Above screenshots by courtesy of SkySafari Pro.

qtrIwva.jpg

By NASA (image by Apollo 10) - Apollo 10 Photography Index: image AS10-31-4646.

• Like 3

Isn't that an amazing image by Apollo 10...?

What a view they must have had.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Isn't that an amazing image by Apollo 10...?

What a view they must have had.

Yeah, it is almost as if they were there lol. I think it was on their list to photograph when they got to orbit the Moon. It must have been strange travelling to the Moon but not landing on it. All that way and they couldn't even make sandcastles.

Too cloudy tonight. I’m banking on tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Streetbob said:

Too cloudy tonight. I’m banking on tomorrow. 

Me too. Way too much sky porridge.

MlwOL4Vl.jpg

I really wanted to test my new knobs as well!

Yulqn3dl.jpg

Guess it will be Sunday now.

I decided to try my 200mm Newt on the moon last night. It was the first time I’d used it seriously on the AZ100 and I spent some time adjusting the tripod height to get it comfortable to use.  I decided to use my Baader zoom so I could quickly zoom out to get my bearings again and it worked a treat. At 8mm it gave excellent views and I found Mt Bradley, who’s peak seemed very bright, I also found Rima Ariadaues, just, it was very  faint, like a pencil line. I then tried to identify the surrounding features. A most enjoyable session.

48 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

I decided to try my 200mm Newt on the moon last night. It was the first time I’d used it seriously on the AZ100 and I spent some time adjusting the tripod height to get it comfortable to use.  I decided to use my Baader zoom so I could quickly zoom out to get my bearings again and it worked a treat. At 8mm it gave excellent views and I found Mt Bradley, who’s peak seemed very bright, I also found Rima Ariadaues, just, it was very  faint, like a pencil line. I then tried to identify the surrounding features. A most enjoyable session.

I could see a fair bit of detail on Bradley and it was quite bright. So much so that at one stage I was using stacked Baader yellow and polarising filters. I could just about see Ariadaeus as well but it was a bit far away from the terminator by Sunday night. Other notable features were: Aristotles, Vallis Alpes, Ptolemaeus and Ukert.

56 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

Baader yellow and polarising filters.

I used a Baader 0,9 nd filter 12.5% transmission which seemed to work well.