• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PHD 2 Error Message

Graham Fletcher

Hi guys

I need some help.

when I open PHD 2 I initially get this message:

Error: PHD2 instance 1 is already running. Use - i INSTANCE_NUM command-line in option to start a different instance.

Then the normal PHD2 screen comes on.

Do I have to respond to this error message and if so what do I have to do, or can I just ignore it and carry on.

your response would be very much appreciated 

Graham

15 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

On a windows PC. I have also downloaded it on my Apple MacBook.

What other astro software are you running at the same time? There are several threads on Cloudy Nights about the problem occuring on Windows PCs when the administrative rights are different on the various astro programs.

18 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

Will it fix the problem if I were to delete it from my MacBook?

I don't see how having PHD2 on a Mac would have any effect on your Windows PC version.

Uninstall and reinstall sometimes the quickest solution graham.

So, does it come up with message even if you open PHD2 in complete isolation?

Restart your PC then open task manager. It shouldn't show PHD2 as running. Then fire up just PHD2 and it should start with no error message.  Close PHD2 and then go through your normal astro software firing up routine one at a time. After opening each, check task manager to see if PHD2 has appeared. If it doesn't then perhaps PHD2 has been set with with different administrative rights than your other astro software.

When I click on the PHD icon the first thing that comes up is the error message quickly followed by the normal PHD screen

This is all new to me as I haven’t as yet completed the initial set up with camera etc

It maybe that the error message has no effect and PHD  can be initialised and setup okay. As I say I have not really started that stage as yet.

l assume that the camera has to be connected to the mount and the mount turned on to enable you to complete all the setup wizard.

Yes, if you try to start up PHD2 twice, 2 instances of PHD2 will show up in task manager and PHD2 will object, but when you clear the message, you'll just end up running 1 instance of PHD2. But you really shouldn't be getting that message in the first place!

PS I still use an older version of PHD2, so I have no idea what the latest version may do!

I'm still on version 2.6.6 (the latest version when I bought my mount 2 1/2 years ago). Having just upgraded to the latest version of DSS 4.2.6 (from version 4.1.1, although I still have installed for my old photos!) I may get around to updating PHD this summer but I've never been one for instanty downloading the latest version of anything - I'm quite happy for those who do to find the bugs!