• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Battery size portable power

Hi folks. So next thing to save up for is a battery pack so I can get mobile. My setup is mount, DSLR, guide cam and laptop. Just curious what people are using in regards to Wh/Ah size? I didn't want to buy one then be left wanting as my setup grows. 

If you're using a laptop for imaging then I guess you won't need a battery that will last much longer than the laptop battery, so that should give you an idea of the required battery Ahr capacity.

I was looking at getting one with an AC adapter as keeping things charged up isn't something I'm great at 😄 I was just wondering what more advanced setups required to future proof a bit.

Why not ditch the laptop for mobile setup and use something like an ASI Air instead ?

(just a suggestion) 

I forgot to mention that I've bought a Pegasus PPBADV. Mainly because I wanted the power output for my DSLR and my guidecam is Altair. It was more for if I start adding dew heaters or anything else that needs a 12v output. I'll do a bit of research on current draw and go from there. Maybe the ASI air will be something to consider if I ever upgrade to a dedicated astronomy camera and go down the ZWO route. 

Dew heaters are a really heavy drain.  My mount has a built-in lithium battery which is (reputedly) good for 8hrs+ but I need an 8 amp/hr sealed lead acid battery (configured as a counterweight) for the dew heaters.  Because it's a counterweight, it's on the mount so it rotates with the scope which prevents the leads tangling.

7 hours ago, bryand said:

Dew heaters are a really heavy drain.  My mount has a built-in lithium battery which is (reputedly) good for 8hrs+ but I need an 8 amp/hr sealed lead acid battery (configured as a counterweight) for the dew heaters.  Because it's a counterweight, it's on the mount so it rotates with the scope which prevents the leads tangling.

That's a great idea, the less lead tangles the better!